Zucchini Brownies are rich, chocolaty, and a favorite summer dessert! You will never know they are made with zucchini!
Everyone is always looking for zucchini recipes during the summer months when zucchini is out of control, myself included. Our good friends gave us a zucchini the size of a baseball bat from their garden. I am trying to come up with creative ways to use our humongous zucchini. I love making my favorite zucchini breads, chocolate and lemon, but I wanted to try something new. Last night, we needed a dessert to take to a party, so I made chocolate chip zucchini brownies. Yes, dessert is always needed, especially when zucchini brownies are involved. They are SO good and one of my favorite summer desserts.
Magic Zucchini Brownies
I love baking with zucchini. You start with a green vegetable and end with a decadent dessert. I kind of feel like a magician because people are always so surprised when they find out zucchini is involved. Zucchini really is a magic ingredient. Zucchini makes these brownies extra special.
When I pull a warm pan of brownies out of the oven everyone always gathers around for a taste because they don’t look like zucchini brownies, they look like a pan of fudgy, chocolaty brownies! Everyone lines up for a taste! They are always blown away because these brownies are perfection! They are so rich and delicious!
A few tips for making zucchini brownies:
- You can use a large or small zucchini, the size doesn’t matter. I know a lot of people like to use overgrown zucchini for baking and that is just fine. Don’t let those big zucchini go to waste.
- Shred the zucchini with a cheese grater or food processor. I never peel the zucchini.
- I don’t squeeze out the moisture in the zucchini for this recipe. You want the brownies to be moist. If your zucchini is extra watery, you can squeeze it out a little in a paper towel, but don’t get rid of all of the moisture.
- The mixture will look dry when you start and that is ok. It will be just fine after you add in the zucchini. Just be patient:)
- Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips into the batter and save ¼ cup for sprinkling on top. The chocolate chips make the brownies even more chocolaty, which is a very good thing!
- This recipe makes a 9×13-inch pan, which makes this brownie recipe a great one to share!
- Pro tip-cut the brownies with a plastic knife after they have cooled. A plastic knife is magic and doesn’t make a lot of crumbs.
If you are still looking for ways to use up your garden zucchini, give these chocolate chip zucchini brownies a try! They are a favorite at our house!
Make sure you check out our favorite zucchini recipes here!
If you like these zucchini brownies, you might also like:
- Our Favorite Brownies
- Zucchini Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Dried Cranberries
- Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Cookies
- Zucchini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownies
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine sugar, oil, and flour, combine until mixture resembles wet sand. It will be dry looking and that is ok. While mixing, on low, add cocoa, shredded zucchini, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. The mixture will moisten once the zucchini is added. Stir in one cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the brownies are set.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut brownies into squares and serve.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod