This easy Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe is moist, chocolaty, and will remind you of your favorite chocolate cake. You will never know it is made with a vegetable!
Tis the season for lots and lots of ZUCCHINI! This is my favorite time of year because I LOVE zucchini, it is one of my favorite vegetables. I love zoodles, eating zucchini in salads, grilling it, and baking with zucchini. You can find my favorite zucchini recipes here.
I recently made the most epic Chocolate Zucchini Bread and it’s definitely going on the favorite list. It is the BEST! It will remind you of my Chocolate Banana Bread…if you’ve made it, you know it is AMAZING. This version is made with zucchini and it is just as good!
I don’t know who invented baking with zucchini, but they deserve a medal. If I could meet them, I would give them a giant hug. Zucchini in baked goods is genius! Baking with zucchini is probably my favorite way to enjoy zucchini because you all know I have a major sweet tooth. BUT you don’t have to feel guilty about eating a sweet treat when zucchini is involved because you are eating a vegetable!
I love sneaking zucchini into all of my baked goods, especially during the summer months when it is exploding in the garden and on everyone’s front porch:)
This Chocolate Zucchini Bread is guaranteed to be your new favorite zucchini recipe. You will be begging your neighbors for more zucchini so you can make multiple loaves of this bread. It is crazy good!
So what makes this Chocolate Zucchini Bread so good?
- It is made with cocoa powder AND chocolate chips. Double the chocolate, double the fun! There are chocolate chips in the bread and on top!
- The bread is super moist. I use eggs, melted butter, oil, and zucchini. All of the ingredients come together to create a flavorful and moist bread.
- The zucchini bread is easy to make. You don’t need a mixer and can have it in the oven in no time.
- Your house will smell amazing while it is baking.
- This easy chocolate zucchini bread will remind you of your favorite chocolate cake. Don’t be afraid to eat a slice with ice cream. You can thank me later for that tip:)
You are going to fall in love with this Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread! Even if you think you don’t like zucchini, make this bread. It will change your mind. Zucchini has never tasted so good!
If you like this Chocolate Zucchini Bread, you might also like:
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Classic Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Brownies
- Zucchini Muffins
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Zucchini Coconut Bread
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa or unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup canola, vegetable oil, or melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups packed shredded zucchini
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, melted butter, oil, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Stir until smooth. You might have a few small brown sugar clumps and that is fine.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, don’t overmix. Stir in the shredded zucchini until just combined. Stir in ¾ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips over the top of the bread. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean, you might have some melted chocolate chips on the toothpick and that is fine. You just don’t want a lot of gooey batter.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the bread and carefully remove from the pan. Let the bread cool on the wire cooling rack until slightly warm. Cut into slices and serve.
- Note-if you use coconut oil, make sure it is melted and slightly cooled. The bread will keep on the counter, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 4 days. This bread also freezes well. To freeze, cool the bread completely and wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost before slicing.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Oh my god, this recipe is delicious. I make a lot of zucchini bread but I’ve never done chocolate before and this is unlike any zucchini bread I’ve ever had or made. It tastes more like chocolate cake. I reduced the amount of butter and oil by a third and increased the zucchini to a very generous 2 cups and it was still moist an absolutely delicious
I am so glad you enjoyed the bread.
This recipe is delicious!! I made two breads today & it’s a family favorite. Definitely a 5 star recipe!
This was an easy recipe and soooooo good! I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t love it. Even better the next day. I didn’t put any chocolate chips on top. Put them all in the batter. Otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Will definitely make again!
I make this recipe A LOT:)
Simply delicious, entire family enjoyed them!
Just made these. So Good. The only charge I made was using mini chips and using a mini muffin pan. I baked them16 min., they came out perfectly.
Hi. How long did you bake your mini muffins for?
Made this today with some shredded zucchini had frozen earlier this summer. Amazing! Used the recipe exactly and it turned out very well, good chocolate flavor and good crumb. I might cut the oil out next time and just use the butter, just to see how that works. I need as many zucchini recipes as possible, it’s the one thing I can always rely on in the garden. Thanks!
We have lots of zucchini recipes:)
Easy recipe. It’s most, chocolately, tastes delicious.
The butter and oil mix was perfect. Butter for the taste oil for moisture and tenderness.
I used yellow squash which I grated in the food processor.
I doubled the recipe.
I used a bundt pan. It raised beautifully.
I had a little batter left over which i baked in a pyrex bowl. That was for the baker. Mmm
I put a little bit less sugar than the recipe called for, but it came out really good!
I substituted almond flour and did not have enough zucchini so supplemented with shredded carrots. It was absolutely delicious and moist, a rich chocolate flavor, more like a cake. I made two small loaves and froze one. I will definitely make again it was so easy
Glad it worked out!
Can this easily transition into muffins?
Yes, just reduce the baking time.
This is dangerously good! I have my favorite walnut zucchini bread recipe that I love, but I have always wanted to make chocolate zucchini bread with zucchini from my garden. I’ve never seen a recipe to entice me. This one did. It has a deep, rich chocolate flavor and is super moist. I made a double recipe and will freeze one. I wish there were a way to attach a picture to show how dark and chocolatey it looks. Mine looks a little higher than the picture in the recipe. That may be the size or shape of my pan. This recipe is a keeper!
Could I use salted butter?
The amount of ads is ridiculous. I couldn’t even get to the recipe
Amazing! Very rich, more like chocolate cake with less guilt. My two young girls LOVE this recipe! I have made it multiple times this summer. I really like using three small bread pans (reducing bake time to 40 mins). I also like using mini chocolate chips, nuts would be great too.
This is amazing! I have altered it to be Gluten, dairy and egg free and it always works out. My egg substitute is unsweetened applesauce. The cake is super moist, like a cake brownie. Very chocolaty too. Wish I had increased the Zucchini because I couldn’t tell it was in there.
Very dry. Disappointing, to say the least!!
My family liked this recipe but I didn’t find it quite sweet enough. I would increase the sugar to 1 cup next time. The zucchini was completely undetectable and based on other recipes that I have seen and tried, I wonder if more could be added.
However, the texture was great, it rose really nicely and looked great on a plate. 60 minutes was a perfect bake time and the bread was very moist.
At least 4 of my friends and I have been using this recipe for the last few years and LOVE IT! I make it gluten free at times (usings Bobs Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour), and it’s absolutely as fantastic as the original recipe. Calling it bread is a stretch, let’s face it – it’s cake, no frosting needed!
No sugar ?
There is sugar in the recipe:)
This is fabulous! I have given it as gifts and everyone LOVES it. It’s definitely a family favorite so I froze a lot for the winter/spring. Thanks so much!!! Anna
So glad you love it.
The sea salt… It’s the little bits of sea salt that pop up in the same mouthful as the chocolate chips. That’s what sold me when I first tried this loaf at a get-together. I immediately asked for the recipe and now here I am… Enjoying it once again. So quick and easy to make. There is zero trace of zucchini while you’re devouring each slice. But man… Did I mention the sea salt interspersed with the sweet chocolate?
Very Moist! Very Chocolatey! I chopped up some dark chocolate bar and put chunks on top.
Really Good! Frozen, then microwave and top with Vanilla Ice Cream!
I’ll be making this for the second time tomorrow. It’s absolutely delicious. It feels light but delicious chocolate flavor and great texture.
Glad you loved it.
By far my favorite zuchinni bread recipe! I use muffin tins instead of making it into bread! Also add some shredded carrot to sneak some more veggies into my picky eater
So so yummy!
My wife tried this recipe last night. It is by far the best zucchini bread recipe that I have ever had in the last 60+ years! Wow! I look forward to viewing as well as making many more of your recipes.
Thank you… And, thank you again!
This recipe is absolutely fantastic! Dessert like chocolate zucchini bread. Super super moist. Incredible!
My daughter is recovering from surgery. She has little appetite. I made this bread, and she is happily eating a slice. Thank you for taking the time to craft such a delicious recipe.
You are welcome. I hope she feels better soon!
This was SO good and very moist. My husband was skeptical at first but really loved its earthy & chocolaty flavor. My son can’t get enough of it. We followed the receipt almost exactly but our zucchini was rather large and made 2 cups worth. We added it all and it was no issue. We’ll definitely be making this many times again. Thank you!
Glad you loved it!
One of the yummiest ways to sneak zucchini into the family…they have no idea and just devour this everytime..
Freezes well also
I love having a loaf in the freezer.
See More Comments