Apple Cinnamon Granola
I didn’t mean this week to be all about breakfast, but it just sort of happened. First, I shared a recipe for Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake-yes, you can eat this cake for breakfast. You have my permission:) Next, I posted a recipe for Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes with Cinnamon Syrup. Well, those pancakes inspired me to make a batch of Apple Cinnamon Granola. I love eating this granola for breakfast, especially during the fall months.
Homemade granola is the best and I love switching up the flavors. I used applesauce to make this granola and only a little bit of oil. The applesauce makes the granola extra crunchy and you get those big clumps of granola. This granola is not wimpy at all! I always pick the granola clumps off of the pan and pop them into my mouth while the granola is cooling. The applesauce also keeps the granola low-fat. Yay!
I chopped up some dried apples and tossed them into the granola after it was done baking. I didn’t add in any nuts, only pepitas, because Josh is allergic to nuts. You can throw in pecans, almonds, or walnuts if you wish. This granola has enough crunch and flavor that I don’t miss the nuts though. This nut-free granola is a winner!
I love eating this Apple Cinnamon Granola for breakfast or for a healthy snack. It is great by the handful, with Greek yogurt, or with a splash of cold milk. Make your house smell like fall and make a batch of Apple Cinnamon Granola today!
Apple Cinnamon Granola
This healthy and nut-free granola is great with yogurt, milk, or by the handful!
Yield: About 5 cups of granola
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
3 1/2 cups oats (not quick oats)
1 cup pepitas
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped dried apples
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, pepitas, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
3. In a small saucepan, warm the applesauce with the honey, canola oil, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Spread the mixture evenly on a large baking sheet.
5. Bake the granola for about 45 minutes, stirring every ten minutes, until the granola is golden brown. Remove from oven, and stir in the dried apples. Let the granola cool completely. Store the granola in a large, airtight container. The granola will keep for up to one month.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Apple Cinnamon Granola, you might also like:
- Pumpkin Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Strawberry Almond Granola from How Sweet It Is
- Maple Almond Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Coconut Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Banana Granola from Food Plus Words