When Caleb wakes up he usually says four things: hi dad, horses, mommy, and “oat-me.” He is always excited to start the day and loves eating oatmeal with mommy. We eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every morning.
I usually keep things simple by adding a banana and cinnamon to our oatmeal, but sometimes I like to mix things up by making baked oatmeal. Our new favorite oatmeal is Baked Blueberry Coconut Oatmeal. I love this recipe because it is so simple and we can eat it for almost an entire week. It is great reheated in the microwave with a splash of milk. I love easy breakfast mornings that taste so good!
I knew Caleb would love this oatmeal because he is obsessed with blueberries. Since blueberries aren’t in season and cost an arm and a leg, I used frozen berries and they worked out just fine. The oatmeal turned a slight blue purplish color, but we didn’t mind. I think Caleb liked the added color:)
I used coconut oil instead of butter and added in shredded coconut. Coconut lovers are going to go crazy for this baked oatmeal.
Warm up with Baked Blueberry Oatmeal. It’s a great way to start the day! And if you are looking for other ways to use coconut oil, here are a few of our favorite recipes:
Baked Blueberry Coconut Oatmeal
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 square baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, coconut, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla. The coconut oil might get a little lumpy, but that is ok. It will melt when baking.
- Arrange two-thirds of the blueberries on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the oat mixture evenly over the berries. Pour the milk mixture over the oats. Gently shake the baking dish to make sure the milk covers the oats evenly. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top of the oats.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden and oatmeal is set. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.
- Note-this baked oatmeal is great reheated in the microwave. We like to add a splash of milk!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod