These Baked Zucchini Fries are a healthy alternative to traditional French fries. Utilize your garden zucchini and make these baked zucchini fries as a great side to any meal or a fun snack!
Zucchini Fries – A Healthy Alternative
I am not a French fry kind of gal. I love baked sweet potato fries, but the deep-fried French fries don’t appeal to me. I had some zucchini that needed to be used, so I decided to try baked zucchini fries.
I asked Josh if he wanted some of my fries and he turned up his nose. I was kind of surprised because he loves baked sweet potato fries too and most vegetables. He didn’t like the idea of baking zucchini and calling them fries though. They sounded “too healthy” to be good. So I went on my merry way preparing the zucchini fries. He decided to make some zucchini fries too-but he fried his in olive oil on the stove.
Taste Test: Fried vs. Baked Zucchini Fries
When we sat down to eat dinner together, he asked if he could try one of MY healthy fries. I already tasted one, so I knew they were downright delicious, so of course, I shared:) He tasted one, and then another and another. He loved them! He thought my baked zucchini fries were much better than his fried fries. Ha! The healthy fries win! Yahoo!
If you are looking for a healthy alternative to fries, give these zucchini fries try. We dipped them in a homemade marinara sauce. You can use store-bought if you wish. These baked zucchini fries make a great side to any meal or a fun snack! Don’t forget about this recipe-I know it will come in handy when you have summer zucchini growing out your ears:)
Baked Zucchini Fries
- 3 medium zucchini sliced into skinny sticks
- 2 large egg whites beaten
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs we make our own
- 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites with a fork until frothy.
- Put the breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, garlic powder and cheese on a plate-I used a pie tin. Mix well.
- Dip the zucchini sticks in the egg whites and then into the bread crumb mixture, make sure all sides get coated well. Place the sticks on the prepared baking sheet. I did the sticks one by one.
- Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a little crispy. I turned over the fries half way through. Serve warm. We like to dip ours in marinara sauce.
If you like these baked zucchini fries, you might also like:
Baked Sweet Potato Fries from Two Peas and Their Pod
Baked Potato and Sweet Potato Chips from Two Peas and Their Pod
Baked Carrot Oven Fries from 101 Cookbooks
Oven Baked Garlic Fries from Dishing Up Delights