Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with spinach, blueberries, almonds, avocado, feta cheese, and a light lemon poppy seed dressing. This is the perfect salad for spring and summer!
Brussels Sprouts Salad
Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables and I especially love them in salads. That’s right, you can finely chop or shave Brussels sprouts to make salad greens. They make the BEST base for salads. The shaved Brussels sprouts are crisp, crunchy, and go great with so many salad fixings.
I love making my favorite Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad during the fall months, but wanted a Brussels sprout salad with spring and summer ingredients.
This Blueberry Brussels Sprouts Salad screams spring and summer! It is my new favorite salad, I have been making it nonstop!
Table of Contents
This salad has all of my favorite ingredients in one big salad bowl! It is a powerhouse of healthy ingredients too, lots of super foods in this one! It is so fresh and delicious!
- Brussels Sprouts-Like I mentioned above, shaved Brussels sprouts are so good in salads. You are going to LOVE them…even if you think you don’t like Brussels sprouts. I promise you will love these crisp shredded Brussels.
- Spinach-I also add in finely chopped spinach for a different shade of green and boost of nutrients. Kale would also work!
- Blueberries-Fresh blueberries add a burst of juicy sweetness. This salad is SO good when blueberries are in season.
- Avocado-Avocado makes everything better, it was a no brainer for this salad.
- Almonds-Sliced almonds add a nice crunch to the salad. Plus, I love the healthy fats and protein they bring to the salad. Walnuts or pistachios would work well too! If you want to sweeten things up, candied pecans would be a great addition!
- Red Onion-Thin red onion slices add color and flavor.
- Feta Cheese-Crumbled feta cheese adds a creamy element that is so delicious! If you need the salad to be vegan, you can leave out the cheese. Parmesan cheese or goat cheese are good options too!
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
I like to finish this salad with a simple Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing. It is so refreshing and the poppy seeds make it extra pretty! You can find poppy seeds in the spice aisle at any grocery store. If your store has a bulk bin section, you can usually find them there too.
To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard, garlic, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or jar. Whisk or shake until well combined.
How to Make Blueberry Brussels Sprouts Salad
- To make the salad, you need to shred the Brussels sprouts. Don’t worry, it is easy! You can use a food processor, mandoline, or sharp knife to shred the sprouts, all methods work really well.
- I also like to chop up the spinach so it is easy to eat with the shredded Brussels sprouts. If you want to use kale instead of spinach, go for it. It is good too!
- Place the Brussels sprouts and spinach in a large bowl and toss. Add the blueberries, almonds, red onion, avocado, and feta cheese. Drizzle with the lemon poppy seed dressing and toss until the salad is well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
This salad is best the day it is made, but will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. If you are going to serve it later, wait to add in the avocado. The other ingredients hold up nicely.
You can make the dressing in advance. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week. Whisk before serving.
More Salad Recipes:
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Strawberry Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Blueberry Corn Salad
- Simple Kale Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Strawberry Dressing
- Grilled Chicken Blueberry Salad
Blueberry Brussels Sprouts Salad
For the lemon poppy seed dressing:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, ends trimmed
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the dressing: In a a small bowl or jar, combine olive oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard, garlic, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper. Whisk or shake until well combined.
- To make the salad: First, shave the brussels sprouts. Use a food processor with the slicing attachment and pulse until the brussels sprouts are thinly sliced. You can also use a mandoline or sharp knife if you don’t have a food processor.
- Place the brussels sprouts and spinach in a large bowl and toss. Add the blueberries, almonds, red onion, avocado, and feta cheese. Drizzle with the lemon poppy seed dressing and toss until the salad is well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it. 🙂
This salad reminds of me one of my all time favorites!!! Love all of these flavors 🙂
Looks so Yummy and Delicious! Many reasons to try this recipe tasty & Healthy.
This salad looks SO fresh and delicious! Perfect for summer picnics and barbecues!
This was very, very good. I would serve this with almost any summer meal, and use it for a regular night at home or for company. It’s just a great blend of flavors and the dressing just pulls it all together. Another big hit from Two Peas. I did a bit of a make ahead by putting the cheese, onion, blueberries, spinach, and shredded sprouts in a sealed bowl. Then I made the dressing and kept that in a container in the fridge. The day I served it, I blended them together and added the almonds and avocado.
So happy you loved the salad!
This looks and sounds so delicious!
I must try!
Thanks for posting! 😀
Micaela Pippin, Reviewer
Made this for my kids’ packed lunch and wasn’t sure whether they would like it (brussels sprouts and all)… Not only did it get eaten but both kids told me it was delicious and my 11-year-old wanted (and got) more for dinner. A hit!
It’s amazing. Even my carnivore boyfriend loves it.
This looks delicious ! Are the Brussels sprouts raw or cooked ?
Raw, they make a great salad base!
Delicious! I made this last night for a dinner party and it was a hit. Even my husband, who dislikes Brussels sprouts, agreed.
I am so happy to hear you loved the salad.
The salad was beautiful and nutritious, but it tasted a little one note to me. It was just ok for me.
So pretty and so delicious. Great mix of flavors and textures. I added in some chick peas for more protein as I had this for my dinner. Looking forward to having it again this weekend!!
This salad is delicious! I love the crunch from the brussels and almond slices, the vinaigrette is so bright and zippy and I love the little bit of richness from the avocado and cheese (I used goat cheese instead of feta, but only because I am powerless against goat cheese). And the blueberries! So pretty and just the right amount of sweetness. I had to make extra dressing because it’s just so good. Thank you for saving me from my usual blah boring work lunches!
So glad you loved this one!