Chipotle Hummus Avocado Sandwich with pickled red onions, cilantro, radish, and queso fresco. This vegetarian sandwich is loaded with flavor and a lunchtime favorite!
This post is sponsored by Dave’s Killer Bread.
Favorite Vegetarian Sandwich
Remember that Chipotle Hummus I made? If you don’t remember, let me remind you. It is my new favorite hummus and SO easy to make at home. I can’t stop eating it. The flavor is incredible and it’s great with veggies, pita chips, tortilla chips, and in a sandwich. I made an Chipotle Hummus Avocado Sandwich for lunch the other day and now I want to eat it for lunch every day. It is that good, one of my favorite vegetarian sandwiches!
Building a Better Sandwich
The sandwich begins with Dave’s Killer Bread, the best bread on the planet. DKB is packed with protein, fiber, whole grains, and is down right delicious. I used the 21 Whole Grains and Seeds bread for my avocado hummus sandwich and it was perfect!
Next, you spread some of that amazing homemade chipotle hummus onto the bread. The hummus gives the sandwich a ton of flavor!
Now, it is sandwich topping time. I start with avocado slices because every good sandwich should have avocado. Plus, avocado and chipotle hummus are kind of a match made in heaven. I add pickled red onions because they add a zesty tang to the sandwich. And don’t worry, I quick pickle the red onions, they are super simple to make and I always like to have a jar in the fridge. I also add microgreens, cilantro, radish slices, and a little queso fresco. All of the ingredients come together to create one super tasty sandwich.
Sandwich Making Tips
- The bread is good toasted or untoasted. You can’t go wrong with Dave’s Killer Bread! If you are going to pack the sandwich to take for lunch, I would toast the bread slightly so the sandwich doesn’t get soggy. Or you can pack the ingredients individually and build your sandwich when you are ready to eat.
- You can use store bought hummus, but my chipotle hummus is SO good in this sandwich and I promise it is easy to make!
- Make sure you use a ripe avocado. You can squeeze a little lime juice on the avocado slices so they don’t turn brown. I also like to salt the avocados.
- If you don’t want to use pickled red onions, you can use regular red onion slices or leave out the onions.
- I love microgreens on this sandwich, but if you can’t find them you can use your favorite lettuce.
- If you need the sandwich to be vegan, you can leave off the queso fresco.
Build a better sandwich and make this Chipotle Hummus Avocado Sandwich. This easy sandwich is great for lunch, but would also make an easy dinner! You can serve cut up veggies, fresh fruit, and/or chips on the side! And if you want to go the open face sandwich route, you can make avocado toast with all of the sandwich ingredients!And did you know September is Whole Grains Month? Another reason to make this delicious sandwich! Enjoy!
If you like this hummus avocado sandwich, you might also like:
- Cucumber and Avocado Sandwich
- Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Salad Sandwich
Chipotle Hummus Avocado Sandwich
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 10 minutes
- 1 sandwich
For the pickled red onions:
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the sandwich:
- 2 slices Dave's Killer Bread 21 Whole Grain and Seeds
- 2 tablespoons chipotle hummus
- 1/2 large avocado sliced
- Lime juice and kosher salt for avocados
- 1/4 cup microgreens or lettuce of your choice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 radish thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon queso fresco omit for vegan
To make the pickled red onions-In a medium bowl, combine red onion slices, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir until well combined. Let sit until red onions are pickled, about one hour, stirring occasionally.
To make the sandwich-Top one slice of the bread with the chipotle hummus. Squeeze a little lime juice on the avocado slices and sprinkle with salt. Place the avocado slices on top of the hummus. Add the microgreens, cilantro, radish slices, and queso fresco. Top with the other slice of bread. Cut the sandwich in half, if desired. Enjoy!