This Chipotle Hummus is Full of Flavor and easy to make at home. Serve the hummus with cut up vegetables, chips, or pita bread! It makes a great appetizer or everyday snack!
Hummus, a Healthy Snack
I try to make hummus every week so we have it in the fridge for healthy snacking. The boys love dipping hummus into just about everything. It is a family favorite snack!
My current favorite hummus flavor is Chipotle Hummus. Oh man, it is SO good. I love chipotle everything and decided to add a little chipotle kick to our hummus and it was the best decision ever. The chipotle flavor is a game changer, it makes the hummus extra delicious!
Homemade Hummus is the Best!
Hummus is SO easy to make at home and it is SO much better than store bought. Once you make your own hummus once, you will be hooked.
The key to making super creamy and smooth hummus is peeling the chickpeas (garbanzo beans) before putting them in the food processor. I know taking the skins off of every chickpea in the can sounds annoying, but I promise it is worth it, and it really doesn’t take that much time. Turn on your favorite song or Netflix show while you peel the chickpeas and the time will fly by!
Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce
The addition of chipotle peppers to humus is a major game changer. The smoky kick is amazing! To make the chipotle hummus, you will need a can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, which you can find at pretty much any grocery store.
Chipotles in adobo are smoked and dried jalapeños that are rehydrated and canned in a sweet and tangy purée of tomato, vinegar, garlic, and spices. The peppers can be spicy and that is why I only add one pepper with 2 teaspoons of sauce to the hummus. I keep the hummus on the mild side so the boys will eat it. If you want a spicy chipotle hummus, you can add more peppers and sauce.
When we open a can of chipotle peppers in adobe, we rarely use the entire can, so we keep the peppers either in the fridge for a few weeks or in the freezer for a few months. They are always great to have on hand, especially to make this hummus because after you try it you will be making it ALL of the time!
Once the chickpeas are peeled, you can put all of the ingredients in the food processor and let it do the work. You will have creamy, smooth hummus in no time! The chipotle peppers make the hummus smoky, slightly sweet, and so addicting!
To serve, put the hummus in a bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika to bring out that smoky flavor. Enjoy with fresh pita bread, pita chips, tortilla chips, crackers, or cut up vegetables. It is the perfect easy appetizer or everyday healthy snack. You can also use the hummus as a spread for sandwiches.
If you like this chipotle hummus, you might also like:
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 15 minutes
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and peeled
- 1 chipotle in adobe pepper
- 2 teaspoons adobe sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Olive oil and smoked paprika for garnish
- In a food processor, add the drained and peeled chickpeas, adobe pepper, adobe sauce, garlic, tahini, olive oil, water, lime juice, and salt. Process until the hummus is smooth. You might need to stop and scrape down the sides with a spatula and blend again.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, you might need to add more salt and lime juice. If the hummus isn't spicy enough for you, you can always add another pepper or more sauce. I keep it on the milder side so our boys can enjoy it, it still has plenty of chipotle flavor.
- To serve, put the hummus in a bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a little smoked paprika. Serve with pita bread, chips, crackers, or cut up vegetables.