It’s that time of year where everyone is overloaded with zucchini. Our friend’s gave us a monstrous zucchini and I was determined to not let it go to waste. I made zucchini brownies, but that only made a small dent in the giant zucchini. I decided to make Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with the rest of the zucchini. You can’t go wrong turning a vegetable into a chocolate dessert:)
If you think adding zucchini to cupcakes sounds weird, gross, or just wrong, think again. These cupcakes are one of the most moist, rich, chocolaty cupcakes I have ever tasted. If you think no one will eat them because there is zucchini involved, just don’t tell them. It will be our little secret. One of the kid’s in our neighborhood stopped by and we gave him a cupcake. He licked his wrapper clean and had chocolate all over his face. I think he liked it:)
If you are wondering what to do with your garden zucchini, try these Zucchini Chocolate Cupcakes. And if you don’t have any zucchini, I am sure a friend or neighbor would be happy to share with you:) I am going to have to hunt down some more zucchini so I can make these cupcakes again. They are a new favorite!
Check out our other favorite zucchini recipes here! You will want to make them all!
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 50 minutes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dutch processed cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two muffin pans with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, butter, and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla extract, buttermilk, zucchini, and chocolate chips.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients and mix until well combined. Spoon batter into large muffin pans, filling them about 3/4 the way full. Bake in the center of the oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack, while you make the frosting.
- To make the frosting, melt the butter. Whisk in the cocoa powder, whisking until smooth. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Frost the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Store cupcakes at room temperature in an air tight container.
* Note-the frosting makes about 2 cups, you might have a little extra.
If you like these Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes, you might also like:
- Zucchini Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from I Am Baker
- Carrot Zucchini with Maple & Cream Cheese Frosting The Novice Chef
- Zucchini Spice Cupcakes from Bake at 350