Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup – we love this simple and delicious tortellini soup! A classic tomato soup turned up a notch by adding delicious cheese tortellini and served with crusty bread.
Tortellini Soup, A Family Favorite
Tomato soup has always been my favorite, you can’t go wrong with a classic. And now I have a new favorite tomato soup because this Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is SO good! We kicked the classic tomato soup up a notch by adding cheese tortellini! We love tortellini and the cheese tortellini goes perfectly with the creamy tomato soup! Our entire family loves this easy tortellini soup. It always makes a great lunch or dinner.
Creamy Tortellini Soup without the Cream
You will think this soup is loaded with heavy cream because it is so creamy and so good, but Greek yogurt is the secret ingredient to this creamy tortellini soup. The Greek yogurt makes the soup super creamy without adding all of the fat and calories!
Make sure your Greek yogurt is at room temperature before adding it to the soup so it will melt right in. If you don’t have Greek yogurt, you can use sour cream, but we love using Greek yogurt in this soup.
I like to add fresh basil and shredded Parmesan cheese to my bowl of warm tortellini soup! They are the perfect finishing touches to this easy soup!
Easy Tortellini Soup
This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is super simple to make and a hit with our entire family. Serve crusty bread on the side because you can never have too many carbs! Or you can make a simple green salad to go with the tortellini soup. You can’t go wrong when this easy tortellini soup is on the menu. It is always a dinner hit! This soup is perfect for a chilly day, I always love cozying up to a bowl of this soup!
If you like this tortellini soup recipe, you might also like:
- Easy Minestrone Soup
- Pasta Fagioli
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Vegetable Soup
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 18 oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, for garnish, optional
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bay leaves and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir in fresh basil and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves from the pot. Use a hand immersion blender to blend the soup (or carefully transfer soup to a blender to blend and return to the pot). Stir in the Greek yogurt until well combined. Stir in the cheese tortellini and cook on medium-low until tortellini is cooked, about 7-8 minutes. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod