What do you do when life hands you leftover baked potatoes? You make baked potato soup, of course. This simple potato soup recipe is an easy family favorite.
Baked Potato Soup
When we were living with our friends, we made baked potatoes to go with our big Sunday dinner. We ended up having too many, so the next day I made this homemade potato soup recipe for everyone to enjoy. If you have leftover baked potatoes, you HAVE to make this soup! It will remind you of a loaded baked potato but in soup form! It is delicious and perfect comfort food!
I used a recipe from Cooking Light. It was very easy to follow and a little lighter than most loaded potato soup recipes. This recipe uses milk instead of heavy cream and reduced fat sour cream instead of full fat sour cream. You can also use plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream, if you wish.
If you don’t have leftover baked potatoes, you can bake potatoes in the oven just to make this soup. Making baked potatoes is easy and SO worth it for this soup!
We use shredded cheddar cheese. You can use sharp or medium cheddar cheese. You could even add in some white cheddar if you wish!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This potato soup recipe is meant to be loaded with ALL of the toppings. Garnish the soup with extra cheese, green onions, sour cream, and chopped bacon. You can also top your soup bowl with crackers or dip crusty bread into your bowl. Loaded Baked Potato Soup is the best! Don’t go skimpy on the toppings.
The soup is thick, creamy, and comforting. It is the perfect meal for a cold day or when you are in the mood for some major comfort food!
If you like this easy Baked Potato Soup, you might also like:
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Easy Minestrone Soup
- Vegetable Soup
Baked Potato Soup
- 4 large baking potatoes or use leftover baked potatoes
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 2% milk
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Toppings: Cheddar Cheese shredded, Green Onions, chopped, Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake for one hour or until potatoes are tender. Let the potatoes cool. Peel potatoes and coarsely mash them in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, add the flour. Gradually whisk in the milk, whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat until thick, about 8 minutes. Add mashed potatoes, cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add in sour cream and green onions. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, do not boil the soup. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with toppings. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod