You only need five ingredients to make this simple and refreshing Cucumber Salad. It is the perfect side dish to any summer meal.
Cucumber Salad has always been one of my favorite summer side dishes. The ingredients are simple, but the salad is SO good. It is a salad I crave and want to eat with every single meal during the summertime.
Thinly-sliced cucumbers are marinated in a tangy and slightly sweet dressing made with vinegar and a touch of honey. The simple salad also has red onion and fresh dill. The cucumbers are cool, crisp, and absolutely delicious!
I love my Asian Cucumber Salad, Cucumber Avocado Salad, Cucumber Quinoa Salad, and Tomato Cucumber Salad, but you can’t go wrong with this classic salad.
Cucumber Salad Ingredients
You only need five ingredients to make this salad!
- Cucumber – I like to use an English cucumber (seedless or European cucumber) because they don’t have very many seeds they are slightly sweeter in taste. If you have an abundance of fresh garden cucumbers, feel free to use them!
- Red onion – The red onion adds a pop of color and flavor. White onion would also work.
- Vinegar – I use rice vinegar or white wine vinegar, but red wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar would also work well.
- Honey – Add a little honey to balance out the sour vinegar. If you need the salad to be vegan, you can use sugar.
- Dill – Fresh dill is best for this salad. If you absolutely can’t find it, you can use dried, but don’t use as much because dried dill is stronger.
Do you Have to Peel the Cucumbers?
If you are using English cucumbers, you don’t have to peel them because the skin is pretty thin. If you are using a regular cucumber that has tough, waxy skin, I recommend peeling the cucumber first. You might want to remove some of the seeds too, because they tend to have a bitter flavor.
How to Make Cucumber Salad
- First, slice the cucumber into thin rounds. You want thin slices so the cucumbers can easily absorb the dressing. You can use a mandoline, but it isn’t necessary. A sharp knife will do the job. You want the slices to be about ¼ to 1/8-inch thick.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey (or sugar).
- Add the cucumber slices, red onion, and dill to the bowl. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Toss the salad until the cucumbers are well coated.
- Let the salad sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. You can also chill for a couple of hours before serving to let the cucumbers marinate. I think the salad is best after it sits for awhile.
If you want to jazz up your cucumber salad, here are some ideas!
- Stir in halved grape or cherry tomatoes.
- Add crumbled feta cheese.
- Add a little green pepper or red pepper.
- If you want to add a little heat, add crushed red pepper flakes. The crisp cool salad is nice with a little kick of heat!
- Dill is the classic herb of choice, but feel free to add parsley, basil, or even mint.
How to Store
Cucumber salad can be made in advance and will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week in a jar or sealed container. Make sure the lid is on tight so your refrigerator doesn’t smell like vinegar.
The longer the cucumbers marinate, the softer they will get. They are so good on burgers, sandwiches, or in wraps.
More Easy Salad Recipes
Easy Cucumber Salad
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sugar)
- 1 large English cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey. Add the cucumber slices, onion slices, and dill. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. You can also chill for a couple of hours before serving to let the cucumbers marinate.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.
You enticed me with the photo and said the dressing makes the salad. I click on Best Fruit Salad and got cucumber, so I clicked on cucumber and got cucumber again! Help, please!
You can find our fruit salad recipe here: https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/fruit-salad/
When I try to get the fruit salad the cucumber salad pops up.
Cuke salad was good, but really want to try the fruit salad. Thanks
Yep, fruit salad looked delicious! Would love the recipe. I do love these cucumbers too.
Here is the fruit salad recipe: https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/fruit-salad/