This classic Tomato Salad recipe is simple as can be, healthy, and easy to customize! It is the perfect summer salad when tomatoes are ripe and at their peak!
You say tomato, I say tomato…really, we all just love tomatoes, right?! If you’ve ever smelled a ripe tomato still on the vine, you know exactly where my obsession began. Fresh garden tomatoes are my very favorite and one of the reasons I love summer so much.
You can see some of my favorite fresh tomato recipes here. And I have another good one for you today, Tomato Salad! It’s an EASY one!
If you’re looking for a quick and delicious side dish, this simple tomato salad recipe comes together in just a couple minutes and can be customized to fit in with any meal you’re making. It really lets the tomatoes shine while still including amazing flavors!
How to Make Tomato Salad
Here are a few tips to making sure your tomato salad shines as bright as possible!
- Using different sizes and colors of tomatoes, especially during the summer months when tomatoes are at their best! This is an amazing way to make this dish look as good as it tastes!
- Use a sharp knife to slice your red onion as thinly as possible.
- Use the highest quality olive oil you can find. This makes a huge difference in a salad like this where it’s an ingredient you’ll really taste rather than one you’re just using for cooking.
- Add a splash of red wine vinegar to add a pop to the tomatoes.
- Let your tomatoes sit in the seasonings for a while (about an hour) at room temperature before serving. This lets everything absorb and the flavors begin to really complement one another!
There are a few other ways to jazz up this easy tomato salad! Of course, don’t do all of these at once, but find the option that sounds the best to you to make a version of this dish you really love. This is a very flexible recipe, use what you have on hand and mix it up every time!
- Drizzle Basil Vinaigrette over the tomato salad, it’s SO good!
- Add in small mozzarella balls (bocconcini), you can find them at most grocery stores. Or cut up or tear regular fresh mozzarella cheese
- Use this simple Balsamic Vinaigrette as a topping
- Crumble feta cheese over the tomato salad for a Greek-inspired option. You can even add in some fresh cucumbers
- Toss your tomato salad with Spinach Basil Pesto for extra flavor
- Use pickled red onions instead of regular red onions.
- I always finish my tomato salad with fresh basil, but feel free to add your favorite herbs. Chives, dill, parsley, mint, and oregano are good options.
How to Store
This salad is best the day it’s made, but you can store leftovers in the fridge for up to two days. I normally don’t like to put fresh tomatoes in the refrigerator because they lose flavor and it stops them from ripening, but if they are already ripe and cut, it is fine to put them in the fridge.
I love making garlic bread to go with tomato salad, SO good! You can also make homemade croutons to add to the salad. Here are some dishes that pair well with the salad.
- Steak Kabobs
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Baked Ziti
- Lemon Spaghetti
- Lemon Butter Chicken
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
More Easy Salad Recipes:
- Tomato, Cucumber, and Avocado Salad
- Summer Caprese Salad
- Black Bean Salad
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Easy Quinoa Salad
- 2 lbs. mixed heirloom tomatoes, preferably various colors and sizes, cut into wedges or halved if small
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 8 to 10 basil leaves
- Fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini), optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Gently stir. Add the fresh mozzarella, if using. Garnish with fresh basil and season with salt and black pepper.
- You can serve immediately, but if you have time, let the salad sit, tossing occasionally, until juicy and deeply flavored, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
This sounds really good. Love garden fresh tomatoes! I made bruschetta the other night but accidentally poured WAY too much balsamic in, so I may have to try again soon while they’re still super fresh at the market.
Garden tomatoes are the best! This tomato salad is a summer favorite!
This looks so easy and yet so yummy! Do you have a suggestion for a really good olive oil? I’ve been looking for one. Thanks!
I absolutely love the look of it! Thank you for including the tips and awesome ways to jazz up this classic summer favorite, too! <3
You are welcome! It’s such a great EASY salad!
So healthy and so tasty. I just love it. I love salads and usually make salads every-day. I will definitely try this one and let you know. Thank you for sharing. Keep up the good work.
Made this tonight with a pint of a cherry tomato medley. So easy, healthy and fresh tasting. I’ll be making this one all summer!
Tomato is very useful for our health and also for our skin.