My dad is visiting from Illinois. He drove out to Utah last week, which is a 22 hour drive. My dad doesn’t believe in stopping, only to fill up on gas, licorice, and M&M’s. He says he just closes his eyes and keeps on driving:) We are having a great time so far. It is always nice having him around.
Sunday night my sister’s family came over for dinner. We made homemade lasagna, an Artisan Bread in Five Loaf, and salad for dinner. Everything was quite tasty. We had to do two lasagnas though, a meat lover’s and a veggie. I don’t mind pleasing everyone, different strokes for different folks:)
Today I am sharing the Italian sausage recipe. I didn’t have a taste, but everyone else enjoyed it. Josh made homemade noodles and I worked on the sauce and fillings. The lasagna came together in no time. I included the recipes for the sauce and noodles. Of course you can use store bought, but we believe fresh is best:) We use our KitchenAid mixer and pasta attachment and it makes pasta making super simple.
It was fun having the family over for dinner. As you can see below my niece, loved the ABin5 bread. She is always the life of the party!
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Crushed red pepper flakes
3 cans diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
Fresh basil, chopped
Salt and black pepper
1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, cook until tender. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and fennel seeds.
2. Add in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir.
3. Add in fresh basil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
4. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
Crushed red pepper
2 cups Ricotta cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese,plus more for the top of lasagna
1. In a large skillet brown the Italian sausage with fennel seeds and crushed red pepper. I don’t measure the seasons, just a dash or two. Cook sausage until brown and cooked all the way through.
2. Mix ricotta cheese, eggs, black pepper, dried basil, and parmesan in a small bowl.
3. In a large casserole dish or pan start creating the lasagna.
4. Spoon some marinara sauce at the bottom, add a layer of noodles.
5. Next, add sauce, ricotta mixture, sausage, and mozzarella cheese. I don’t measure just spread around evenly. Be generous with all of the ingredients.
6. Add another layer or noodles and continue the layering process.
7. When you are finished layering, top the lasagna off with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
8. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour or until bubbly.
9. Let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting.