Chicken Penne Pasta- creamy, cheesy, chicken pasta with a fresh bruschetta topping. Serve with garlic bread for the most amazing meal! This easy pasta dish is a family favorite!
We love a good pasta night at our house. A few of our favorites include baked ziti, lasagna, cacio e pepe, and pasta pomodoro.
This easy Chicken Penne Pasta is another favorite, my boys request it often. They love the creamy, cheesy sauce that covers the penne pasta and chicken. I also add a fresh and simple bruschetta topping that makes the dish extra special.
You are going to LOVE this easy pasta recipe, it is a weeknight favorite!
Before we get to the pasta, let’s talk about the bruschetta topping. We LOVE classic bruschetta so I decided to jazz up this creamy chicken pasta with a fun and fresh bruschetta topping.
The ingredients are simple: tomatoes, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix them all together and you are good to go! I like to make the bruschetta topping first so the flavors have time to hangout.
Of course, you can skip the topping and the pasta will still be delicious, but if you ask me, it is the perfect way to finish the dish! It takes it to a whole new level.
Now, let’s talk pasta. I like to use penne pasta for this recipe because we always have it in our pantry and the noodles are the perfect size. They are a cylinder-shaped noodle with slanted edges and a hollow center. The ridges make it easy for catching the creamy sauce.
Of course, you can use any pasta to make this recipe. Fusilli, farfalle, spaghetti, fettuccine, orecchiette, and rigatoni are all good options.
You can use whole wheat pasta or gluten-free pasta. There are lots of good options out there these days. Check the pasta aisle at the grocery store and buy what looks good to you!
How to Make Chicken Penne Pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil and salt the water generously! Salting the water will flavor the pasta from the beginning so don’t skip this step. Cook the pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken in olive oil until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside so you can make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the shallot and garlic. Cook for about one minute. Whisk in the flour. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, whisking continuously so the flour doesn’t clump up. Pour in the white wine. Cook on low until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the chicken back into the pan. Stir in the heavy cream, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring the sauce to a simmer and then stir in the Parmesan cheese. Make sure you use GOOD Parmesan cheese. I always buy a wedge and freshly grate it. It is so much better than the pre-shredded cheese.
- Put the pasta back in the pan and stir until it’s well coated. It will smell amazing!
- Spoon the pasta onto plates or bowls and top with extra Parmesan cheese and the bruschetta topping. Eat and enjoy!
If you need some ideas on what to serve with chicken penne pasta, here are a few of our favorite sides that never disappoint.
- Easy Green Salad
- Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Asparagus
- Garlic Bread
- Caprese Garlic Bread
How to Store
If you have leftover pasta, you can keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The bruschetta topping is best the day it is made so I recommend eating it all the first day and making more if you need it.
More Pasta Recipes
Chicken Penne Pasta
For the Bruschetta Topping:
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Chicken Pasta:
- 10 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine, or white cooking wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- To make the bruschetta topping, combine the tomatoes, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Let sit while you make the chicken and pasta.
- Boil a large pot of water and salt generously. Cook the pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, in a single layer, and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a clean plate.
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the shallot and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the flour. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, whisking continuously so the flour doesn’t clump up.
- Pour in the white wine. Cook on low for 3 to 5 minutes until sauce starts to thicken. Add the chicken back into the pan.
- Stir in the heavy cream, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes. On medium-low, bring the sauce to a simmer and then stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Add the pasta to the pan and stir until pasta is well coated. Remove the pan from heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Spoon the pasta onto plates or bowls and top with extra Parmesan cheese and bruschetta topping. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Olive and Mango
This looks so good! My fam can’t really have heavy whipping cream. How would you suggest I substitute? Would half and half work? Would I need extra flour to thicken? I really want to make this! I love the bruschetta on top! What a great idea! A way to get more veggies into these folks is a bonus!
Half and half will work. I would stick to the same amount of flour.
This was AMAZING! It is definitely a new favorite, and I will be making this again soon. It was so easy and delicious. I am pregnant and can’t eat beef or marinara sauce (makes me sick). So I am very thankful to have found all of your different chicken and white sauce recipes! Thanks!
I am so glad you enjoyed the pasta. Thanks for letting us know!
Just finished eating. This recipe was amazingly delish! Every recipe I have made from Two Peas and Their Pod has been fantastic. I love that their recipes are made with ingredients I almost always have on hand and are clear and easy to follow. I’m a big fan!❤️
Thanks for your kind words. I am so glad you are loving our recipes!
So delicious! My whole family loved it, even my two picky kids! The bruschetta topping was the perfect touch. I did notice maybe you accidentally put the step with the wine in the recipe steps twice? Thanks again for a great recipe!
I am so glad you loved the recipe. Thanks for catching my typo. I fixed it:)
This dish is amazing! I subbed half n half for the heavy cream and it was delicious!
This was my first time chopping fresh basil but it made a difference. Do NOT skip the bruschetta topping – it really does elevate the dish to DIVINE!!!
This is AMAZING. Made my chicken breasts in the air fryer first as I get the juiciest chicken that way. Then did the directions the way written. Delicious fish. Restaurant -worthy. Don’t skip the tomato part
Delish DISH. Not fish
Yummy! Very good and I didn’t have shallot or white wine but used 1/2 c of pasta water.
Delicious! Your recipes never disappoint!
Excellent, especially with the bruschetta topping! I cut the garlic down to three cloves, Parmesan down to 3/4 cup, used only two boneless chicken breaks, and substituted field tomatoes which I seeded and chopped.
This is easy to put together and will definitely be one of my favorite pasta recipes.
Fabulous! Will definitely make again – for company next time!
I love your recipe but my son has a lactose tolerance so We’ve adapted your recipe by using coconut milk and cream of coconut. Just as delicious!!
Oh good! Thanks for sharing!
Oh my stars (as my grandmother would have said!). This is a 5 star restaurant quality dish that I never thought I could make … but yes I did!
Next dinner party I will make it and wow my friends! Thanks for the great recipes!
I am thrilled you loved the recipe. Thanks for reporting back!
This was so, so good. Subbed evaporated whole milk for the heavy cream and it was delicious! The tomato topping really sets it off.
Glad you loved the pasta!
I’m crazy about your recipes! Looking forward to making this dish when we get home from a leaf-peeping trip! But I’ll need to sub something for the white wine – would chicken broth work?
Such a tasty and filling dinner recipe! The leftovers also tasted good – definitely a bonus! Will be making this again in the future.
Delicious! The bruschetta topping made it feel very light and refreshing. My husband and kids loved it too!
What brand of Balsamic vinegar do you use? Never bought before…would it be with all other vinegars? Thanks!
Loved this recipe. The bruschetta was so simple yet resulted in some of the best we have had. The garlic and shallot cream sauce are not for the feint of heart. Bursting with flavor. Won’t have to worry about the vampires tonight!
Made this for dinner. Subbed shrimp for chicken. It was good, a little rich with so much heavy cream. Will adjust next time, but the bruschetta is a must.
This was awesome! Made exactly as written with two minor modifications.
Added some frozen green peas to the pasta with 2 1/2 minutes to cook.
Used fresh Roma tomatoes, cause it seemed like the right thing to do.
So good!! Quite possibly the best chicken penne I’ve ever had, will definitely be making this again!
Great news! I am so glad you loved it!
First meal I’ve made for my partner and he loved it!!! Ate a massive plate and then what was left in the pan as well. Thank you so much ❤️
Ha! Love this!
I cooked this recipe this past weekend. My husband and I really enjoyed it. Did not make the bruschetta only the pasta. Definitely will make again.
Glad you loved the pasta.
Can this be done ahead or in the oven? thanks!
Or is there a recipe you have that is similar that can be done ahead or in the oven ?
This was so delicious! I just made it for dinner. I did not use white wine or any wine for that matter. But still good and I will be cooking this again ❤️
Made it several time and everyone loves it