Lemon Coconut Crumb Bars-an easy dessert that is perfect for spring and summer!
A few weeks ago, I made Jam Almond Crumb Bars and Josh was a little disappointed because he couldn’t have any. He is allergic to nuts and I try to not to make nut recipes when he is around, but sometimes I can’t help myself. I love nuts. I felt guilty eating the bars in front of him, but I wasn’t about to let them go to waste. They were soooo good!
I told Josh I would make him a special treat to make up for the Jam Almond Crumb Bars. Josh loves all things citrus, so I made Lemon Coconut Crumb Bars. The bars are similar to my Jam Almond Crumb Bars, but there are no nuts! I used coconut instead of almonds and lemon curd instead of the jam. Josh was very happy with the bars. So happy he almost didn’t let me have any. I had to fight him for a bar:)
I go lemon crazy every spring. Spring and lemon just go together. Lemon is refreshing and reminds me of sunshine!
I tried to keep the bars somewhat healthy so I used my favorite white whole wheat flour from Gold Medal Flour. I love using this flour because you still get the benefits of whole wheat flour, but it’s lighter in color and has a milder texture. Josh had no clue he was devouring a whole wheat treat. I am such a trickster:)
I recently made Lemon Cookies with Toasted Coconut Frosting and now I am hooked on the lemon/coconut combo! For this recipe, I used coconut oil, coconut extract, and flaked coconut to make up the coconut crumb crust. A triple threat of coconut…my kind of treat!
I used lemon curd for the filling. You can make homemade lemon curd, love our recipe, or use store bought. Easy peasy! The lemon curd was the perfect filling for my bars!
Lemon Coconut Crumb Bars didn’t last long at our house. Josh loved his special treat. He is already asking for them again so I think I will whip up another batch for our Easter dessert. Hurry up Easter Sunday:)
Lemon Coconut Crumb Bars
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup coconut oil at room temperature
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- ¾ cup flaked coconut plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- ¾ cup lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream coconut oil and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and coconut extract. Mix well. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour mixture. Mix until combined, the dough will be crumbly. Stir in the ¾ cup coconut.
- Stir the lemon curd to loosen it up. Gently press half of dough into bottom of prepared baking dish. Evenly spread the lemon curd over dough. Sprinkle remaining dough over the top, making sure you cover the entire bars. Press gently to form the top layer. Sprinkle the additional coconut over the bars.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Disclosure-this post is in partnership with Gold Medal Flour, but our opinions are our own.