Lentil Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach – This easy lentil soup is packed with flavor, protein, and nutrients. This lentil soup also freezes beautifully, another reason I love this comforting soup.
I was a little nervous the first time I made lentil soup for Josh. It was early on in our marriage and I wasn’t sure if Josh even liked lentils. Lentil soup is one of my favorites, so I took a risk and made it for dinner one night. I happily discovered that Josh also loves lentil soup. We now enjoy lentil soup on a regular basis, especially during the cold winter months. I am always mixing up the ingredients to keep our meals interesting. My latest creation is Lentil Soup with Sweet Potatoes & Spinach.
Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
I have been adding sweet potatoes to everything lately-risotto, tostadas, biscuits, so why not add them to lentil soup? I can’t get enough! I also threw in fresh spinach because the bunch in our refrigerator was starting to look questionable. I love it when I can put our produce to good use.
This easy lentil soup is packed with flavor, protein, nutrients, and heart-warming goodness. It is a great recipe for January-healthy and comforting. This sweet potato lentil soup freezes beautifully, another reason I love this soup. Make a large pot and save some for later. And if you aren’t sure if your kids or spouse will eat lentil soup, don’t ask, just make it. I am sure they will like it!
Lentil Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 2 small sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 4 15 ounce cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans 15 ounce diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. Saute until onion is tender and garlic is light brown in color. Add carrot, celery, and sweet potatoes. Cook until vegetables soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the lentils, vegetable broth, and water. Add the diced tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook on medium-low heat for about 35-40 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
- 3. Add the fresh spinach and stir. If necessary, season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this lentil soup, you might also like: