It is getting hot outside and that means it’s time to cool down with frozen desserts. Ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet, gelato-sign me up for them all! I love a good frozen treat. My blogging friend, Susan, just came out with a book-The Everything Ice Cream, Gelato, and Frozen Desserts Cookbook and I am so excited to try all of the recipes. Over the weekend I made the Lime and Coconut Ice Cream and it is fabulous! It is the perfect summer treat!
To celebrate Susan’s new book, we are giving away a signed copy of The Everything Ice Cream, Gelato, and Frozen Desserts AND a KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment! Yahoo! I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! 🙂
Susan’s book is filled with 300 recipes that are guaranteed to cool you down and satisfy your sweet cravings. I want to try them all! But, let’s talk a little bit about this Lime and Coconut Ice Cream. If you read our blog on a regular basis, you know we are obsessed with all things coconut and lime. Well, this Lime and Coconut Ice Cream is perfection. It is smooth and creamy with the perfect amounts of coconut and lime.
We still have some Lime and Coconut Ice Cream in the freezer, so please excuse me while I go enjoy a bowl! You can enter our giveaway while I enjoy a scoop or two:)
Update: This giveaway is now closed! The winner is Alicia @Alicia’s Homemaking (#1838). Congratulations! Thanks to everyone who entered!
To enter to win a copy of The Everything Ice Cream, Gelato, and Frozen Desserts Cookbook AND a KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment, leave a comment on this post telling us what your favorite frozen dessert is.
Bonus Entries (You must leave a separate comment for EACH additional entry to count)
2. Follow @TwoPeasandPod on Twitter and tweet the following: “I just enterered to win a @KitchenAidUSA Ice Cream Attachment from @TwoPeasandPod. Enter here: http://su.pr/1RcWvI
3. Follow Two Peas and Their Pod on Pinterest.
4. Subscribe to Two Peas and Their Pod via email.
The giveaway is open until Sunday, May 27th at 11:59 p.m. MST. The giveaway is only open to U.S. residents. Be sure a valid email address is included with your comment(s). Winner will be chosen randomly and announced on this post. We will email the winner and if the winner doesn’t respond in 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen.
This giveaway is provided to you by KitchenAid and DoughMesstic, but our opinions are our own.
Lime and Coconut Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped lime zest
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1. In small sauce pot, combine the milk, coconut, sugar, and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat. Continue simmering until it has reduced to by about a fourth. Cover and allow to steep for one hour. After one hour, strain the coconut milk into a measuring cup. Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- 2. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- 3. Pour sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and zest into a large mixing bowl, over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream, stirring until cooled. Add coconut extract, stir, and place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, about 5 hours or overnight.
- 4. Once chilled, add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod