Lofthouse Sugar Cookies are super soft and the perfect sugar cookies for any occasion. Decorate with frosting and sprinkles just like the famous Lofthouse sugar cookie recipe!
Homemade Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
I have gotten a few questions from friends and readers about the absence of cookies on our blog. I haven’t posted a cookie recipe since December-gasp! I think that is a record. No, I am not mad at cookies, I was just giving everyone a little time to detox from cookie overload in December. I am back today with my all time favorite sugar cookie recipe. These soft sugar cookies are a copycat of the popular Lofthouse Sugar Cookies that you can buy at the store. Homemade cookies are always best, so skip a trip to the store and make a batch of sugar cookies at home.
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies
- These sugar cookies are easy to make. You do have to chill the dough, so make sure you plan ahead. There is sour cream in the recipe which keeps the cookies moist and soft.
- You can cut the cookies in whatever shapes you like, I chose hearts because Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Feel free to use your favorite cookie cutter shapes.
- The buttercream frosting is fluffy and compliments the cookies nicely. I made pink frosting and added Valentine sprinkles to dazzle up my heart shaped cookies.
- These super soft sugar cookies are perfect for any occasion. I usually make them for Christmas and Valentine’s Day.
- Get the kids involved and let them help roll out and decorate the sugar cookies.
- The unfrosted sugar cookies freeze well so you can make them in advance. The frosted cookies will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days on the counter.
If you like the Lofthouse Sugar Cookies, you will love these soft sugar cookies. And remember Valentine’s Day is coming up, I am sure your sweetheart would love a big, soft, fluffy sugar cookie on the day of love. Cookies always make the heart grow fonder:)
If you like these soft sugar cookies, you might also like:
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Shortbread Heart Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Coconut Lime Sugar Cookie Bars
Lofthouse Cookie Recipe
For the Cookies:
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups sour cream
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Food coloring optional
- Sprinkles optional
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and sour cream and beat at low speed until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, scraping down the bowl as needed. Dough will be a little sticky and that is ok. Divide dough into two sections. Flatten into rectangles about 1½ inches thick, then wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator overnight or for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats; set aside.
- Lightly flour the countertop and the top of the dough. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to ¼-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out the cookies and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 7 minutes, until cookies are slightly golden around the edges. Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Cook cookies completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and vanilla extract. Slowly beat in powdered sugar and the pinch of salt. Once smooth and creamy, add in heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, then beat at medium-high speed for a minute or two until light and fluffy. Add food coloring, if desired, and beat until combined.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, frost and add sprinkles, if desired. Allow frosting to set, then store in an air-tight container.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod