Lemon Sugar Cookies
I love all kinds of cookies, but traditional sugar cookies with frosting have never been my favorite. I am just not a frosting gal. (I am sure if you put a frosted sugar cookie in front of me, I would eat it, but they just aren’t my favorite.) I do adore Lemon Sugar Cookies-they are soft, chewy, and rolled in sugar. These cookies are simple, elegant, and perfect for spring.
The recipe includes lemon zest and fresh lemon juice so the cookies have a delightful lemon flavor. The cookies are soft and chewy in the middle with slightly crisp edges. Even though the cookies are “sugar” cookies and rolled in sugar, they aren’t overly sweet-making it easy to eat cookie after cookie:)
Ring in spring with a batch of Lemon Sugar Cookies. They are light, refreshing, and the perfect treat for a sunny day.
Lemon Sugar Cookies
Everyone loves the burst of lemon in these soft and chewy sugar cookies.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add lemon zest, egg, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Mix until combined. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Roll rounded tablespoons of dough into balls and roll in sugar. Place on prepared baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are slightly brown around the edges and set. Let cookies sit on the baking sheets for two minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
*To keep cookies soft, store cookies with a slice of bread in an air tight container.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like these Lemon Sugar Cookies, you might also like: