Migas-you are going to love these easy Tex-Mex migas made with eggs, tortilla chips, and all the toppings! Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner and they are so good served as breakfast tacos!
It’s rare that you find a recipe that works for all three meals in the day, but migas are great for any meal! Since they’re made with eggs they make a perfect breakfast, but migas are hearty enough for dinner and easy enough for lunch too. Plus, they are so delicious, you will want to eat them for every meal.
If you haven’t had migas, let me introduce you. I fell in love with migas in Austin, Texas years ago. Tex-Mex migas are incredible and a traditional breakfast dish made with scrambled eggs, strips of fried tortillas (or tortilla chips for a short cut), cheese, onions, and tomatoes.
You can eat migas in a bowl with your favorite Mexican toppings or put them into corn tortillas for really yummy Migas Breakfast Tacos, my favorite way to eat migas.
This recipe is inspired by Veracruz All Natural’s migas breakfast tacos in Austin. They are my favorite and I have to say my recipe is pretty close to the original. I had to recreate them at home because they are SO good and I was craving them all of the time. I am glad I made homemade migas because they are SO simple and our entire family loves them now.
Migas are made with basic ingredients, but they taste SO good! Migas are traditionally made with hardened corn tortillas left over from previous meals, but I use tortilla chips to make it easier. You certainly can fry up old corn tortillas, if you wish.
Here are the ingredients you need to make migas. Note-I make mild migas so the kids can enjoy them too. If you want to spice things up, you can add jalapeño to the ingredient list!
- Eggs– use regular large eggs.
- Milk or water– or whisking into the eggs, to make them fluffy and creamy!
- Salt and black pepper– a must for flavoring eggs!
- Butter– for the pan. You can use olive oil or avocado oil, but I love the flavor the butter adds.
- Monterey Jack cheese– shredded Monterey Jack cheese melts into the eggs making them super creamy and cheesy! If you want to spice things up, you can use Pepper Jack cheese.
- Tortilla chips– break up the tortilla chips into bite-size pieces.
- Red onion– chopped red onion adds flavor and color!
- Tomato– chopped tomato, you will love the pop or red!
- Cilantro– fresh cilantro adds so much flavor! If you don’t care for cilantro, you can leave it out, but it’s so good!
How to Make Migas
Making migas is as simple as scrambling eggs! They come together SO quickly, which makes them perfect for any time you want a delicious, filling, and healthy meal.
- Whisk the eggs and milk or water in a medium bowl until well combined, then season with salt and pepper.
- Get a large skillet heated over medium heated and add the butter. Once it melts pour the eggs in and stir them frequently with a spatula until they’re slightly scrambled and just set–only about 30 seconds!
- Now add in cheese, tortilla chips, onion, tomato, and cilantro. I love a colorful, sizzling pan! If you want to spice things up, you can add in some minced jalapeño too.
- Pull the spatula across the pan in long sweeps. You’ll start to see large, creamy curds form. When they’re mostly set but still a bit runny in the middle pull the pan off the heat. This will only take a minute or too. Don’t over cook the eggs.
- Leave the eggs in the warm pan to finish cooking while you get toppings ready!
How to Serve Migas
Here are a couple of our favorite things to serve with Migas! You can put them in a bowl with some toppings:
OR…eat them our favorite way…in tacos! Migas breakfast tacos are THE BEST! Serve in corn tortillas with taco toppings. If you’re worried about the corn tortillas breaking, you can always double up on tortillas!
More Egg Recipes
- Egg Muffins with Sausage, Spinach, and Cheese
- Spinach Mushroom Breakfast Casserole
- Baked Eggs with Spinach
- Bacon, Potato, and Egg Casserole
- Egg, Avocado, & Pesto Bagel Sandwich
- Polenta Rounds with Eggs and Avocado Bean Salsa
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup broken up tortilla chips, in bite size pieces
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Corn tortillas, warmed, if making tacos
- For Serving: avocado or guacamole, salsa or pico de gallo, jalapeno slices, extra shredded cheese, hot sauce
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs and milk or water. Whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the eggs and cook, stirring frequently with a silicone spatula, until slightly scrambled and just set, about 30 seconds. Add the shredded cheese, tortilla chips, onion, tomato, and cilantro.
- Use the spatula to make long sweeps across the pan until you see large, creamy curds. When the eggs are softly set, but still a little runny in places, remove the pan from the heat. Let the eggs sit to finish cooking while you get the toppings ready.
- You can serve the migas with toppings or make migas breakfast tacos. To assemble the tacos, give the eggs a stir and then place the scrambled egg mixture in the center of a corn tortilla. Top with desired toppings. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod