Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
Soup is a very comforting and satisfying meal. Soup can also be one of the healthiest and most enjoyable meals you eat if, you do it at home. Most canned soups are high in sodium and fat, but when you make it yourself, you are “in charge” and can create a very healthy soup.
We eat a lot of soup during the winter months. A few of our favorites are:
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
I love making big batches of soup so we can enjoy leftovers during the week. I also like to freeze smaller portions for quick lunch or dinners when our schedules are busy.
I made this mushroom barley soup on a snowy day and it really warmed my heart, soul, and stomach. Barley is a good source of fiber, selenium, phosphorus, copper and manganese. Barley makes this soup very hearty and will fill you up for hours. The simple broth and vegetables give the nutty barley the perfect amount of flavor.
This soup will warm you up in an instant. Give it a try this winter.
Mushroom Barley Soup
This healthy and hearty soup is easy to make and is perfect for a cold day!
Yield: Serves 4-6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 (16 oz) package of white button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium pan, bring 4 cups of water and the 1 cup of barley to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the barley is soft. You can make this the night before.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft. Add the carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they are soft. Add the vegetable broth, water, bay leaves, and fresh thyme. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked barley and cook for 15 minutes or so.
- Remove the bay leaves. before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!