Spring salad with roasted asparagus, artichokes, avocado, cucumber, radishes, fresh herbs, and a simple lemon dressing. The perfect healthy salad that goes great with any spring meal!
We are finally getting some true spring weather and that makes me very happy because winter and I don’t get a long. I am excited for sunshine, fresh air, flowers, and my favorite spring foods.
When I was flipping through my friend Gaby’s new gorgeous cookbook, What’s Gaby Cooking: Everyday California Food, I stopped on her spring Cobb salad and made it immediately. It is the perfect spring salad and made me even more excited for spring! It screams spring!
And keep reading because we are giving away a copy of What’s Gaby Cooking, you will LOVE this cookbook! Trust me!
In Gaby’s book, she has a salad chapter with Cobb salads for all seasons. These aren’t your traditional Cobb salads, they are updated Cobb salads stuffed with all kinds of fabulous ingredients and flavors. I want to make them all, but first up is the spring salad because it is spring! Perfect timing because this salad has all of my favorites in one big bowl!
The spring Cobb salad is made with the following ingredients:
- roasted asparagus
The salad also has an AMAZING lemon-champagne vinaigrette that really makes the salad shine.
Tips for Making the Perfect Spring Salad
- I love all of the GREEN!! The base of the salad is gem lettuce, but you can also use butter lettuce, both work well.
- Roasting asparagus is easy, you can use this roasted asparagus recipe, just omit the balsamic vinegar and only use the olive oil. It will roast up in no time!
- Use the small Persian cucumbers for this salad. They are SO good! If you can’t find them, you can use regular cucumbers, they will still be tasty.
- Use canned artichoke hearts. Drain the artichoke hearts and cut in half. You can also buy quartered artichoke hearts to keep things super simple.
- Don’t skip the herbs. The fresh mint and dill really make this salad pop! You will love the refreshing flavors the herbs bring to the salad.
- The lemon-champagne vinaigrette is easy to whisk up and can be made in advance. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- If you want to bulk the salad up for a main meal, you can add chicken, shrimp, fish, chickpeas, or white beans.
- This salad is vegan, gluten-free, and vegetarian. If you want to add feta or goat cheese, you certainly could, but I think it is perfect without it.
This is a great meal prep salad. You can have everything ready to go, just don’t add the avocado or dressing until you are ready to eat. Everything else can be prepped and ready to go in the fridge. It is a great salad to take to work or to eat on the go! I am actually going to California today and I feel like I should take this salad with me on the plane since Gaby’s book is all about everyday California food. Everyone on the plane would be so jealous because this salad is SO fresh and delicious! I want to eat it every single day for lunch this spring. It makes me happy!
Celebrate spring with the Perfect Spring Salad! You will LOVE every bite!
GIVEAWAY: Now, for some FUN! We are giving away ONE copy of What’s Gaby Cooking: Everyday California Food. YAY! To enter, leave a comment on THIS post! The giveaway closes April 22nd! I promise, you will fall crazy in love with this cookbook. All of the recipes are perfection and the photos are beautiful! It is a keeper!
Perfect Spring Salad
For the salad:
- 8 heads little gem lettuce, bottom 1-inch trimmed off and separated into leaves (you can also use butter lettuce)
- 4 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 Easter radish, very thinly sliced (or 3 regular radishes thinly sliced)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 8 canned artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 12 ounces roasted asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
For the Lemon-Champagne Vinaigrette:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- For the salad: Arrange the lettuce leaves in a large salad bowl. Top with the sliced cucumbers, radish, avocado, dill, mint, artichoke hearts, and roasted asparagus.
- For the dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Adjust the salt and pepper as needed.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod