Summer Farro Salad with all of the best summer ingredients: peaches, blueberries, corn, tomatoes, and basil. You are going to love this fresh and delicious salad!
Summer Salad Perfection
I tend to get carried away when making salads, especially during the summertime when the produce is SO good. I start with a few ingredients and then I keep adding more and adding more. I just can’t stop! I figure, we need to make the most of summer and enjoy ALL of the freshest produce we possibly can. I don’t want any fruits and veggies to feel left out:) Plus, we need to be tasting the rainbow every day!
This Summer Farro Salad is summer perfection. It has all of my favorites in one bowl!
The farro really bulks up the salad. If you haven’t had farro, you really need to join the farro fan club. It is one of my favorite whole grains. It is similar to barley in texture and has a nutty flavor. It is a good source of fiber, protein, magnesium, and iron.
I like to cook farro on Sunday so I can add it to my salads all week long. This way it is already cooked and ready to go. Farro is easy to meal prep, just keep it in the fridge in a container until you are ready to use it. It will last all week. You can also freeze it for up to a month.
All of Your Favorite Summer Ingredients
I love this salad because it is loaded with summer goodness. It makes a great side dish to any meal, but it is hearty enough to be the meal. I often eat this salad for lunch and it always hits the spot! The salad ingredients include:
- greens (use your favorite)
- sweet corn
- feta cheese
- lemon dressing
Yep, this salad screams summer! It is so pretty and SO delicious! You get a taste of summer in every single bite.
Farro Salad Tips
- Like I said, I like to have my farro cooked and ready to go so I can throw this salad together in minutes. Cook the farro according to package instructions. Pro tip-Trader Joe’s sells quick cooking farro that will save you some time and it’s really good.
- Use the freshest produce you can find. This is a summer salad so it should be easy! Shop your farmers market or get the ingredients from your garden, or your neighbor’s garden:)
- You don’t have to cook the sweet corn. Just cut of the corn kernels with a sharp knife and add the corn to the salad. Raw corn is so good!
- You can use grape or cherry tomatoes for this salad. If you have larger garden tomatoes that you need to use up, you can chop them and add them to the salad.
- Use your favorite greens, kale, spinach, mixed greens or arugula are all great options.
- I love the addition of feta cheese, but goat cheese would be good too! If you need the salad to be vegan or dairy-free you can leave out the cheese. It will still have plenty of flavor.
- If you need the salad to be gluten-free, you can use quinoa instead of farro.
- Feel free to throw in additional herbs from your garden. Fresh mint and chives would be nice.
Ok, are you guys ready to ROCK your summer salad? You are going to LOVE this one! If you take it to a summer potluck, I bet everyone will beg you for the recipe and you will leave with an empty bowl. It is a summer star!
More Summer Salads
- Black Bean Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Southwest Pasta Salad
- Blueberry Corn Salad
- Grilled Chicken Blueberry Feta Salad
- Tomato Peach and Corn Salad
Summer Farro Salad
For the salad:
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 2 cups greens of your choice, spinach, kale, mixed greens, etc.
- 2 large peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- 1 ½ cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 small ears sweet corn, kernels removed (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
For the dressing:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl combine the farro, greens, peach slices, blueberries, tomatoes, corn, feta, and basil.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, shallot, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and gently toss until salad is well coated. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Jess Larson