Vegetable Quinoa Soup
Soup season is in full swing and I am loving every second. On Monday, I made a big pot of Vegetable Quinoa Soup and I can’t get enough. This healthy soup is just what I needed after our indulgent trip to California🙂 It is loaded with veggies-carrots, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, and green beans. I added quinoa to “beef” it up, don’t worry, there is no beef in the soup. This soup is vegan and gluten-free…and one of my favorite vegetable soup recipes.
I also made this soup to celebrate my dear friend Lisa because today we are throwing her a surprise baby shower! Surprise Lisa! I got together with my blogging buds (Brian, Gaby, and Marla) to plan a fun virtual baby shower for Lisa. We wish we could all celebrate with Lisa in person, but since we are all over the country, this virtual shower will have to do.
Lisa is having a baby boy any day now and we are SO excited for her and her husband, Ben. They are going to be wonderful parents. We are already planning family vacations together. We know Caleb and Baby Boy Thiele will be best buds for life:)
Lisa and I are similar in so many ways. I really think we are sisters. We even craved the same things during our pregnancies-grilled cheese sandwiches, pancakes, and frozen yogurt/ice cream. Being pregnant also turned us off to vegetables, which is crazy for us. We are usually veggie loving fools! So Lisa might not appreciate this Vegetable Quinoa Soup just yet, but I hope her love for veggies will come back after she has the baby-mine did!
This soup is perfect for new parents because it’s easy to make and you can eat it for days! Plus, it’s loaded with nutrients, protein, and warms the soul.
Congratulations Lisa and Ben! We are so thrilled for you! Baby boys are the BEST! We can’t wait to meet your little guy. Caleb is anxiously awaiting for his buddy to arrive:) And maybe we will have to make a special trip to visit so we can make you this Vegetable Quinoa Soup. Love and miss you guys! xo
Vegetable Quinoa Soup
A healthy and hearty vegetable soup!
Yield: Serves 6-8
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 box (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, and basil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the cooked quinoa and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm.
Note: To cook the quinoa, rinse 1 cup quinoa under cold water. Add quinoa, 2 cups water, and a pinch of salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!