Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I know I just posted a pumpkin muffin recipe and several other pumpkin recipes within the last month, but I just can’t stop. I love pumpkin. I honestly was going to call it quits for awhile, but on Saturday morning I was eating my pumpkin granola for breakfast and an idea popped in my head to make pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars. I quickly got out the pumpkin and started baking.

I based the recipe off of my pumpkin granola, but I made a few changes. I adjusted the spices, used honey instead of maple syrup, and added in chocolate chips. This was my first time making homemade granola bars so I was a little worried, but after a few minutes in the oven, I knew they would be good. The smell of pumpkin and chocolate was divine.

When the bars were golden brown, I removed them from the oven and let them cool for five minutes. I cut them into bars and let them finish cooling while we went to the farmers market. When we got home, we rushed into the kitchen to sample the granola bars. I sampled them again and again:) I was smitten. The chewy granola bars have a nice pumpkin flavor that is complimented by chocolate and laced with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Homemade granola bars are so easy to make, I can’t believe it has taken me this long to try them. These pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars make a great fall snack or breakfast on the go. If you are looking for a pumpkin recipe to try-I nominate this one!

I have been getting bombarded with one question lately, “when are you going to post pictures of your new kitchen?” We are home and our kitchen is functioning (I loved using our Thermador oven on Saturday) but it isn’t completely done. We have some odds and ends to finish up before it is ready to be viewed by all:) Until it is finished, I will be posting teaser photos. Here is one for you to enjoy today. Don’t you love our new white kitchen backsplash? That is all you get for now!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Yield: 10-12 granola bars

Cook Time: 30-35 minutes

3 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk oats, spices, and salt together. Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, honey, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over oats and stir well, until all of the oats are moist. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Evenly press oat mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. The pumpkin keeps the bars moist, so make sure they are golden and set-you don't want them to be under baked. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.

5. Using a sharp knife, cut into bars. Remove from pan and let cool completely.

If you like these pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars, you might also like:

Pumpkin Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
Granola Bars from Buns in My Oven
Cranberry Spice Granola Bars from Bitchin’ Camero
Thick, Chewy Granola Bars from In Good Taste

Yum Pin It

175 Responses to “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars”

1. Pingback: Rather Be Baking « pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars

2. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — September 14, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Ooo so glad I found these tonight. The itch to bake with pumpkin has begun. I’m making these this weekend!

3. Charlene Austin — September 25, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

I made these today and they are really yummy! I don’t have pumpkin pie spice so I added about 1/8th tsp of ground ginger. These will be great for breakfast or snacks. Thanks for the great recipe!

4. Two Peas — September 26, 2011 @ 9:12 am

You are very welcome!

5. JessE @ Love Life From Scratch — September 28, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Great recipe! Just made it this week. Posted about it on my blog :) Thanks!!

6. Kristina — October 12, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

I made these last night! Delicious! I can’t wait to try them with other things like peanut butter, Nutella and adding in a bit of vegan protein powder.

I cut them into bars and put them into an air tight container. I plan on munching on these as a snack or as breakfast.

I’d say the key to them not crumbling is to make sure they cool all the way. I cut mine partially and then flipped over on a wire rack to cool. Once cooled it was easy to break off the sections. I know it is hard once they come out of the oven but good things come to those who wait!

7. Kendall — October 17, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

LOVED this recipe! Tried it here (http://chubsandsmalls.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-granola-bars.html) for my in-laws, and they loved it, too!

8. Two Peas — October 17, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Yay! Glad everyone loved the granola bars!

9. becky @ the Mixing Bowl Diary — October 21, 2011 @ 8:55 am

my kids love granola bars, this will be a nice addition to the mix. I bet the pumpkin is fantastic in these! cant wait to mix up a batch.

10. Pingback: Pumpkin Granola Bars « Baking with Basil

11. Pingback: Kids in the Sink

12. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars « Fatty Dumpling

13. Molly — March 7, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

Have you ever tried to make these using a muffin pan?

14. Two Peas — March 7, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

I haven’t but I am sure they would work great in a muffin tin!

15. Ken Toney — March 10, 2012 @ 7:05 am

These are awesome! I have tried over a dozen granola bar recipes and none were as good as these. I made them several times for my family with a couple of variations. Once with chocolate chips, and another time with cranberries, white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Much better than store bought.

16. Pingback: Pumpkin’s delicious any time of year! | A Seat at the Table

17. Rebecca — July 18, 2012 @ 10:25 pm

I made these in a rush this morning as I was heading out to work. I came back home and snacked on a few. They were so good! But then, I realized I completely forgot to add the brown sugar. Even so, they were still delicious and just sweet enough for me (I also used mashed banana since I didn’t have pumpkin). :)

18. Pingback: No-Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars | Homemade Granola Bar Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

19. Pingback: Sweet Pea's Kitchen » Pumpkin Cranberry Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

20. Jen — September 10, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

I have never made granola bars before but these are in the oven right now and they smell delicious! How would you suggest storing them? Do they need to be refrigerated?

21. Two Peas — September 10, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

I always store them in the fridge so they will last longer. Just let them come to room temperature before eating. You can leave them on the counter if you wish. Enjoy!

22. Leah — September 14, 2012 @ 10:05 am

These sound yummy! How do you make the puree?

23. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars – Spatula Diaries

24. Pingback: Sweet Potato Bars | j+k+m+e

25. Pingback: Pumpkin spiced chocolate chip flapjacks (GF) | hungryhinny

26. Pingback: pumpkin oatmeal bars « De La Casa

27. Pingback: Pumpkin-Spiced Life | Little Red Delicious

28. Susie Ballenger — February 10, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

I made this with my mom it was AWESOME!

29. Pingback: Chewy Bars at Crunch Time - [SS]

30. Pingback: Pumpkin desserts | the mile report

31. MB — September 29, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

I made these today as my first attempt at granola anything. They came out delicious but slightly mushy – more like an oatmeal cookie texture than a granola bar. I only had 2 cups of rolled oats so I subbed the other 1 1/4 cups with steel cut oats, could that have something to do with it? Thank you for the recipe!

32. Pingback: Homemade Granola Bars

33. Pingback: 50 Pumpkin Recipes

34. Pingback: Yum Yum Box # 22 | My Yummy Local Life

35. KatieD — October 27, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

What is the nutritional count on these? They are YUMMY!

36. Pingback: Yum yum produce box #23 | My Yummy Local Life

37. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | le Jus d'Orange | by Betty

38. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | Kloe's Kitchen

39. Pingback: 20 Healthy Pumpkin Recipes

40. Pingback: Banana Nut Bread Granola Bars - January #ImprovChallenge (#glutenfree) - Cupcakes & Kale Chips