Sweet Potato Kale Pizza with Rosemary & Red Onion

Sweet Potato Kale Pizza Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com #recipe #pizza

I have good intentions when it comes to making dinner, but lately I am too tired to follow through. I am really productive in the morning, but when 3:00 in the afternoon hits, I am done. All of my motivation goes out the front door. This week I planned a few dinners, but never got around to making them. Luckily, I have the most amazing husband who always steps in to take care of me and our little guy. This week he came home from work and I told him sorry because I didn’t make anything for dinner, once again. He told me not to apologize and immediately went into the kitchen to cook dinner. He made the most amazing Sweet Potato Kale Pizza with Rosemary & Red Onion. He definitely spoiled me with this delicious meal.

Sweet Potato Kale Pizza Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com #recipe

Josh loves pizza, he could eat it every night, but he usually prefers pepperoni or sausage, nothing fancy. I was surprised he thought “outside of the box” and added a few of my favorite ingredients to this pizza. I know he really loves me:) He used our favorite pizza dough and topped it with olive oil, mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced roasted sweet potatoes, balsamic drizzled kale, red onion, and fresh rosemary. All of the flavors melted together to create the perfect Fall pizza.

I loved everything about this pizza. It seriously is the best! Not only is it out of this world delicious, it is also pretty. I love the Fall colors. It is perfect for Halloween too. If you are looking for a festive, fun, and fantastic tasting Halloween dinner, make this Sweet Potato Kale Pizza. I am hoping Josh will make it again..and soon! Maybe I should be lazy more often:)

Sweet Potato Kale Pizza Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com One of my all-time favorite pizzas!

Sweet Potato Kale Pizza with Rosemary & Red Onion

Yield: 1 pizza

Cook Time: 10-15 minutes

Your favorite pizza dough-we used this pizza dough recipe
1 large sweet potato, thinly sliced, about 1/4 inch thick
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper, for seasoning potato slices and onion
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped kale
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon, freshly chopped rosemary

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the sweet potato slices and red onion slices in a bow and toss with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a large baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and tender. Make sure you turn them once during the 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the pizza dough.

2. Turn the oven to 500 degrees F or as high as your oven will go. If you have a pizza stone, place the pizza stone in the oven to get hot. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough, using a rolling pin. Roll it out to about 3/8 of an inch. Place the pizza dough on a pizza peel or pan that has been generously coated with corn meal. Lightly brush the dough with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. In a small bowl, toss the kale with balsamic vinegar. Top the pizza dough with mozzarella cheese, sweet potato slices, kale, red onion slices, and fresh rosemary.

3. Place the pizza in the oven-directly on the pizza stone, if using one, or on the oven rack. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until pizza crust is golden and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing. Slice and serve warm.

If you like this Sweet Potato Kale Pizza with Rosemary & Red Onion, you might also like:

131 Responses to “Sweet Potato Kale Pizza with Rosemary & Red Onion”

Sweet Potatoes on pizza? I’m in heaven! I love it!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 28, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

Your crust looks fantastic (that’s always my favorite part ha) :)

Jeanette — October 28, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

Hope you get some rest (or maybe you should be tired more often at dinnertime ;). You’re so lucky to have a husband who loves you so much and knows how to cook food you like.

Katrina — October 28, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

Yum–looks delicious! I’d be the only one in my house to eat that kind. But that’s alright with me.

Tracey — October 28, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

I love this combination of ingredients Maria, what a gorgeous pizza! Way to go Josh :)

Anna — October 28, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

Mmm, sounds delicious and it IS pretty! I say let him pamper you :) Sounds like you are the perfect pair!

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — October 28, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

What a great husband, so sweet! love the ingredients on this pizza – all my favorite things! xx

Feast on the Cheap — October 30, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Lucky girl, looks delicious and healthy too!

Dana — October 30, 2011 @ 11:56 am

I love squash, I love pizza, I’ve never put the two together. Sounds absolutely delicious!

Tracy — October 30, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

What a beautiful fall pizza! Maybe I’ll send this on to my hubby and see if he takes the hint, hehe! ;-)

Lori — October 30, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

I could eat pizza every night as well (and kale too). I like to switch up the toppings though. This is such a creative combo. Never would have thought to use the thinly sliced sweet potatoes, but I bet it is amazing!

Nicole O — October 30, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

This sounds absolutely glorious. It’s making my menu for the week.. now how do I get my husband to cook it for me? ;)

Roxana GreenGirl — October 30, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

I totally understand you. Around 3 pm i need something sweet to keep me going for the rest of the day. this pizza sounds like a wonderful dinner idea. love all the ingredients!

Betsy — October 30, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

This pizza looks delicious, and your husband sounds so sweet! Don’t feel lazy not making dinner though – taking care of a newborn all day (and night) while you’re still recovering from birth yourself takes a lot of energy. When I was newly postpartum and I would lament that I didn’t get anything done all day when my husband got home, he would say “you fed and changed the baby, and fed yourself too – you got everything you needed to do done.” In a few months, everything will be easier! Until then, just enjoy the TLC your husband is gifting you.

• Two Peas replied: — October 31st, 2011 @ 12:13 am

Thanks Betsy!

Kristen @ The Endless Meal — October 30, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

I absolutely love sweet potato and kale but have never thought of putting them on a pizza before. I’ll be trying your recipe for sure. Thank you for sharing!!

16. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday, October 31, 2011 « Beyond Rice and Tofu

vanillasugarblog — November 1, 2011 @ 9:50 am

i cannot get enough of sweet potato.
    i always crave it, and butternut squash.
    sadly i’m not a big fan of pumpkin, yep its true.
    but sweet potato on pizza, oh hello!

Georgia Pellegrini — November 1, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

This looks so magical, I want it for dinner!

19. Pingback: Week 45: Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza | The Weekly Pizza

Wow, that looks and sounds amazing. I have some kale in my freezer, and it would be perfect for this!

Anne — November 2, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

I want to try this but cant eat balsamic vinegar. Would plain vinegar be ok for the kale? I’ll take suggestions. I’m terrible at improvising recipes! Can’t wait to try this

• Two Peas replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

I would just drizzle the kale with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Another option is to use apple cider vinegar if you can have that.

Michelle Oaks — November 3, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

We love sweet potatoes but never would have dreamed of putting them on pizza & with Kale? Hmmmm, even though it is nothing like our usual pizza I think that we might like it. I think though that maybe we might add some mushrooms, ham or bacon along with the sweet potatoes and kale.
    Now I’m hungry for pizza

23. Pingback: Discoveries « The Style Connoisseur

24. Pingback: Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza » Via Viands

Family Meals and Cooking Tips — November 8, 2011 @ 5:14 am

This combination looks amazing. Can’t wait to try it. I cheat though and use pita bread as my pizza base …

arpie — November 8, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

Holy cow – this is delicious! We chowed down on this pizza and expect it will be the late fall/winter favorite pizza! My daughter (6) can’t wait to bring this for her lunch tomorrow!

• Two Peas replied: — November 9th, 2011 @ 12:38 am

Glad you liked the pizza!

I made this for dinner tonight and it was so good! I think it would be even better with some crumbled bacon, though. It would add some more texture and deeper flavor.

28. Pingback: Cheddar and Sweet Potato Torte Recipe – A Thanksgiving Classic Side Made Savory « Apron Strings

Esther — November 16, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

I will be making this ASAP. Also you are my new blog obsession.

30. Pingback: Sweet Potato, Kale, and Red Onion Pizza |

31. Pingback: Quinoa with Balsamic Butternut and Kale Saute « Beyond Rice and Tofu

32. Pingback: this week’s dose of inspiration. | simply chic.

33. Pingback: Sweet Potato Spinach Pizza – Tracy Carolyn

34. Pingback: Pizza Recipe: Sweet Potato Kale Pizza | Pizza Recipes

Mich — December 30, 2011 @ 9:32 am

I’m making this ASAP!!! Thanks for the idea.

Robyn — January 16, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

This looks delicious and I am excited to try it. I am also excited to try the pizza dough recipe that you have. I was wondering – since the pizza dough recipe you posted made two pizzas in that particular post (peach, basil, etc pizza), did you use half the recipe to make the sweet potato/kale pizza? Or did you just make a larger pizza? Thanks!

• Two Peas replied: — January 16th, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

You can freeze half of the dough if you only want to make one pizza.

Looks Good To Me — January 23, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

Just wanted to say I made this this weekend (with a few tweaks, added prosciutto on top, whole wheat crust, ricotta & smoked mozz). Big success! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Two Peas replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

Glad you liked the pizza!!

38. Pingback: Sweet Potato Biscuits | The Incuisition

Amy@Money4ThisNot4That — January 31, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

I made this. I did goat cheese and didn’t have any onions (rookie mistake) so used garlic instead, and also used a garlic olive oil as my base and it was delicious. I have 18 year old balsamic that I used. Adding the balsamic was so perfect!!

• Two Peas replied: — January 31st, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

I bet the goat cheese was excellent! Glad you liked the pizza!

40. Pingback: There is Kale On My Pizza! « Running on Cloud Nine