Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Brown spotted bananas were sitting on our counter, staring me down. I tried to ignore them, but they kept haunting me. It seems like I can never eat bananas fast enough. They always turn brown and beg me to put them to good use. I usually bake banana bread, banana cookies, banana cake, or use them in a smoothie. This time I decided to turn them into ice cream since it is so hot outside. I used the popular “One Ingredient Banana Ice Cream” recipe, but added peanut butter, creating a Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

I was a little skeptical about this recipe. How could two ingredients create a smooth and creamy ice cream?  There is no cream, milk, eggs, or even sugar involved. I was willing to give it a try though. I had to use up my brown bananas!

I sliced up four ripe bananas and put them on a large plate. I put them in the freezer and let them chill until they were frozen-about two hours.

I put the frozen banana slices in my Blendtec blender. If you don’t have a super powerful blender, use a food processor. The blender or food processor needs to be powerful to puree the frozen banana slices. It will take some work from the machine:)

I pulverized the banana slices for a few minutes, scraping down the sides a few times. Then I blended them again. The bananas will take some time to reach an ice cream texture, so be patient. When the bananas were smooth and creamy, I added in the peanut butter and blended the mixture one more time. I was amazed at the rich and silky texture. I grabbed a spoon and tasted the banana peanut butter ice cream and I was amazed. It was the best peanut butter banana ice cream I have ever tasted. I can’t believe I created this heavenly ice cream with only two ingredients. Plus, you don’t even need an ice cream maker to make this recipe. This recipe really is magical!

If you are looking for a new way to use up your ripe bananas, try this Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream. The recipe is super simple to make and no one will ever know there are only two ingredients involved. I love that this Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream is healthy too! I am going to be dishing up this ice cream all summer long!

Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Yield: Serves 4

4 large very ripe bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter

1. Peel bananas and slice into 1/2 inch discs. Arrange banana slices in a single layer on a large plate or baking sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours.

2. Place the banana slices in a food processor or powerful blender. Puree banana slices, scraping down the bowl as needed. Puree until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Add the peanut butter and puree to combine. Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream consistency. If you prefer harder ice cream, place in the freezer for a few hours and then serve.

*Note-if you have a hard time creating a creamy consistency, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to help puree the banana slices. Make sure you use a powerful food processor or blender!

Recipe from The Kitchn

If you like this Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream, you might also like:

Roasted Banana Ice Cream from Brown Eyed Baker
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream from Bake at 350
Nutella Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream from The Hungry Housewife
Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream from Two Peas and Their Pod

294 Responses to “Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream”

1. Pingback: Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream | The Inner Harbor

Catherine — August 20, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

I made this this morning except instead of peanut butter I used a bit of greek yogurt (~1/3 cup) and some cocoa powder. It’s SO creamy.

• Two Peas replied: — August 20th, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

I wil have to try that next time!

Shaya — August 31, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

The first time I made this I added almond milk and vanilla extract to make it a bit creamier. I put it in 2 small tupperware containers in my freezer so we have some ready to go whenever we’re craving ice cream. I love the suggestion of using nutella, I’ve been trying to decide how to make a chocolate one!

• Two Peas replied: — August 31st, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

I love the idea of adding a little almond milk and vanilla!

Stacy — September 4, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

oh my word, this is good. I just made it and it is in the freezer awaiting the dessert hour. Don’t think for a minute that I didn’t take a couple licks from the spatula though. I’m stunned at how creamy it truly is…I was a bit skeptical on that point. I will make this again and we’ve already decided to top it with a bit of Nutella!

• Two Peas replied: — September 6th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

It is an amazing recipe, huh? Glad you enjoyed the ice cream!

Dusti — September 6, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

I tried this and my kids loved it. I posted about it on my blog: http://wanttogetcrafty.blogspot.com/2011/09/yum-yum-banana-peanut-butter-ice-cream.html

• Two Peas replied: — September 6th, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Glad you liked the ice cream!

6. Pingback: Make Homemade Ice Cream | Freckles and Sunshine

7. Pingback: Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

june — March 5, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Yes! Yes! I had a bunch of bananas just sitting on the counter. And because the Girl Scout Cookies arrived, the poor dears were just wasting away. But by chance, at 3 in the morning I managed to find this recipe. It came out so good I had to wake up my husand to try some. Mmmmmmmamazing!

9. Pingback: Kitchen Endeavors this week « eyeheartprettythings

10. Pingback: Here are some t… « Miss Metro DC

11. Pingback: Links I like « Miss Metro DC

12. Pingback: 4 Ingredient Chocolate Cookies 'n' Cream Ice Cream Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

13. Pingback: Save That Empty Peanut Butter Jar For Deliciously Portable Yoghurt Parfait | Lifehacker Australia

14. Pingback: Torrent News » Save That Empty Peanut Butter Jar for Yogurt Parfait to Go [Food Hacks]

Bianca — June 19, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

This was fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing!! (Found you via Pinterest)

We’re trying to incorporate more vegan foods into our diet and the desserts are what get us every time, but this was really creamy and delicious and definitely quenched our cravings for ice cream! :)

• Two Peas replied: — June 20th, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

Glad you found us and glad you enjoyed the ice cream!

16. Pingback: Homemade Frozen Desserts (without an ice cream machine) « A Dietitian's Recipe Box

Lisa — July 16, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

Tried this and after making home made custard ice cream, this was terrible! I also am wondering how you got a quart of ice cream out of 4 banana’s and 2 tbsp of peanut butter?

18. Pingback: Bananas for Bananas « runaroundbaby

Josh — August 14, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

You said there is no sugar to make this, each banana contains approx. 28g of sugar. Though this recipe sounds delicious, I’m just adding some fact to it for the health conscious. Would probably be best to eat this towards the early part of the day.

20. Pingback: Thursday Randoms | Scattered Seashells

21. Pingback: 34 Deliciously Simple Two-Ingredient Recipes | Apnazilla.com- Amazing Stuff From All Around The World Under One Zilla

Kinzie — November 15, 2012 @ 10:18 am

For anyone that’s interested, I made this last night, threw a spoonful of pb in, a little cocoa powder, and decided to toss a spoonful of coconut oil into it, thinking it would incorporate… forgot completely that coconut oil HARDENS when it’s cold. Heh. But the result was that it was like having pb or chocolate chips in there, as far as texture goes. Firm, but then melt-in-your-mouth. It was an unexpected texture, but it worked out pretty well.

Alyssa — November 15, 2012 @ 10:59 am

Yum! I made this last night. Unfortunately, I think I need a better blender. This might work even better with bananas that have been in the freezer for a while as they tend to get really liquidy. I can’t wait to make it again!

Kristen — November 16, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

My husband and I tried this last night and absolutely loved it!! So simple and so tasty! We couldn’t believe how creamy it was. Really tasted like we were eating ice cream. Very much seemed like we were indulging when really it was bascially just bananas with a bit of PB. Love this and will share it with friends and family!

Clancy — November 18, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

Considering this recipe has no cream in it, should it really be called Ice Cream?

Derek Lauber — November 30, 2012 @ 9:31 am

This does look incredible. I am going to make this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!

Derek

Ana Lillian Barreto — December 5, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

I substituted the peanut butter with “dulce de leche” and it was ufffff sensational!

28. Pingback: Gelato banana e burro di arachidi~ | La Confiserie Manilù~

29. Pingback: Cool Comfort « Much A-Chew About Nothing…

30. Pingback: Homemade Frozen Desserts (without an ice cream machine) « Nutrition.Health.Life.

Heather — January 10, 2013 @ 5:18 pm

I just happened upon this and I can’t wait to try it. I think strawberries with the bananas would be a great combination! Even more healthy!

32. Pingback: Homemade Peanut Butter and Banana Ice Cream « Bar Benders Fitness

33. Pingback: Big Things + vegan healthy ice cream [recipe] « Kayla in the City

Kelly — January 20, 2013 @ 9:34 am

If we don’t use all of this in one serving can this “ice cream” be kept in the freezer? Or is it more of a one-time use thing?

Katie — January 23, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

Are you able to put this back in the freezer when finished? Or will it really only taste best fresh?

Thanks! This sounds so good!
    Katie

Sarah — January 24, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

Perfect also with just a touch of unsweetened cocoa powder also. And Almond butter instead of peanut butter is just as delicious! (For a more tropical tasting dessert, add a touch of coconut milk, but that’s too many ingredients for me!) :)

37. Pingback: 1 + 1 = Delicious | Salam

38. Pingback: Guilt-Free Ice Cream! « Delicious Recipes

Alicia — January 28, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

This was great! I tried it with nutella instead of peanut butter and it was delicious.

Alyssa — January 29, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

I feel like this would be amazing with real maple syrup and some walnuts! Obviously a bit less guilt free, but so much healthier than real maple walnut ice cream!