Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Brown spotted bananas were sitting on our counter, staring me down. I tried to ignore them, but they kept haunting me. It seems like I can never eat bananas fast enough. They always turn brown and beg me to put them to good use. I usually bake banana bread, banana cookies, banana cake, or use them in a smoothie. This time I decided to turn them into ice cream since it is so hot outside. I used the popular “One Ingredient Banana Ice Cream” recipe, but added peanut butter, creating a Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

I was a little skeptical about this recipe. How could two ingredients create a smooth and creamy ice cream?  There is no cream, milk, eggs, or even sugar involved. I was willing to give it a try though. I had to use up my brown bananas!

I sliced up four ripe bananas and put them on a large plate. I put them in the freezer and let them chill until they were frozen-about two hours.

I put the frozen banana slices in my Blendtec blender. If you don’t have a super powerful blender, use a food processor. The blender or food processor needs to be powerful to puree the frozen banana slices. It will take some work from the machine:)

I pulverized the banana slices for a few minutes, scraping down the sides a few times. Then I blended them again. The bananas will take some time to reach an ice cream texture, so be patient. When the bananas were smooth and creamy, I added in the peanut butter and blended the mixture one more time. I was amazed at the rich and silky texture. I grabbed a spoon and tasted the banana peanut butter ice cream and I was amazed. It was the best peanut butter banana ice cream I have ever tasted. I can’t believe I created this heavenly ice cream with only two ingredients. Plus, you don’t even need an ice cream maker to make this recipe. This recipe really is magical!

If you are looking for a new way to use up your ripe bananas, try this Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream. The recipe is super simple to make and no one will ever know there are only two ingredients involved. I love that this Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream is healthy too! I am going to be dishing up this ice cream all summer long!

Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Yield: Serves 4

4 large very ripe bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter

1. Peel bananas and slice into 1/2 inch discs. Arrange banana slices in a single layer on a large plate or baking sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours.

2. Place the banana slices in a food processor or powerful blender. Puree banana slices, scraping down the bowl as needed. Puree until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Add the peanut butter and puree to combine. Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream consistency. If you prefer harder ice cream, place in the freezer for a few hours and then serve.

*Note-if you have a hard time creating a creamy consistency, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to help puree the banana slices. Make sure you use a powerful food processor or blender!

Recipe from The Kitchn

If you like this Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream, you might also like:

Roasted Banana Ice Cream from Brown Eyed Baker
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream from Bake at 350
Nutella Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream from The Hungry Housewife
Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream from Two Peas and Their Pod

298 Responses to “Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream”

1. Pingback: Apple Treat EASY « muffins&mocha

2. Pingback: Gelado de banana e pasta de avelãs — Chocolatria

3. Pingback: Very Inspirational Blog Award « muffins&mocha

muffinsandmocha — February 12, 2013 @ 11:30 pm

Hello! i’ve nominated you for Very Inspirational Blog Award. Love your blog and cannot wait to try this ice cream!

5. Pingback: Science or Cooking?

Crystal — February 18, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

My sisters and I just made this recipe, I will give it two thumbs up. It has the texture and consistency of ice cream, and for those like myself who are lactose intolerant this is a great substitute for ice cream.!!!

• Two Peas replied: — February 18th, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Glad you enjoyed the “ice cream”

7. Pingback: home-made {26} peanut butter-banana ice cream « me…healthier

8. Pingback: The Ultimate List of 41 Amazingly Simple 2 Ingredient Desserts• thefrugalette

CaseyCannolis — February 20, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

Tried this tonight, and it was delicious. I will be hoarding bananas in the freezer for sure, now.

Niki — February 22, 2013 @ 8:18 am

I’ve been looking at that banana ice cream recipe and thinking I’d like to try it but adding peanut butter. Now I don’t have to experiment on my own, you’ve done it for me! Yay!

L¨As — February 24, 2013 @ 3:02 pm

génial! I quickly make out a will, merci

Amy — February 24, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

Thank you for sharing this! I love ice cream, but my digestive system does not lol. I made some and it was surprisingly delicious. I added a dash of cocoa powder for a chocolate taste.

13. Pingback: Two 2-Ingredient Dairy-Free Ice Cream Recipes (Gluten And Grain Free) | Crunchy Hot Mama

14. Pingback: Married with Pets » Healthy Ice Cream or Disappointment?

15. Pingback: Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod | OnionGirl

16. Pingback: Two Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream | Totally Love It

Ashley — March 5, 2013 @ 7:30 pm

I would like to know once you make it, can it be refroze and portioned out for a later date? Or does that ruin its consistency…

• Two Peas replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

Yes, you can store it in the freezer. Let it soften up a bit before scooping.

Nichole — March 6, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

This is so good…so easy and the best part is its healthy! I drizzled a little Hershey’s syrup on top of our sons but it’s good with or without. Used my Ninja Pulse…took a few times of scraping down the sides but it did the job. Smooth, creamy and yummy. Thank You!!

19. Pingback: 2 Ingredients Banana Ice-Cream | My "sous-vide" life

Victoria — March 11, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

I don’t have a blender or processor.powerful enough. Think i could blend the ingredients together and then freeze?

Kim — March 15, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

This sounds great! I’m thinking I can also use the frozen ice cream to make smoothies. Yum! Thanks for the tip!

22. Pingback: National Peanut Board » Peanut Butter’s Perfect Pairs by Food Blogger Evan Thomas

Jill Zamojcin — March 23, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

Just made this and it’s very good! I added chia seeds to mine to give it more texture and nutrients :-)

Stephanie — March 24, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

Wondering if you make more than what u can eat in one sitting if this stays ok in the freezer or if it gets funky? You have NOOOO idea the absurd amount of frozen bananas in my freezer. I get cussed out every time my hubs opens the door and they fly out!

• Two Peas replied: — March 24th, 2013 @ 8:12 pm

I have put some in the freezer, just let it come to room temperature for the soft serve texture.

25. Pingback: I scream, You scream, Two-Ingredient Ice Cream! | A Hungry Runner

Patricia — March 30, 2013 @ 11:49 pm

I tried this today.. delicious.. I don’t need to add anything else

kewkew — April 2, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

Sounds yummy! Now I need a good blender

tigerlily — April 11, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

I am dying to make this I’m lactose intolerant so eating ice cream has always been tricky for me. My boyfriend just quit eating dairy and was sad when he realized that he was giving up a lot of his favorite sweets too. He’s going to be so excited, thanks!
    I was wondering though…Can I make this in bulk and store it? I’d love to make some the night before entertaining.

• Two Peas replied: — April 11th, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

Yes, you can store it in the freezer. I like to let it sit on the counter for a few minutes before scooping so it has a creamier texture.

Kayla — April 14, 2013 @ 11:34 pm

This is awesome for those who can’t have gluten or milk!

30. Pingback: Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut-butter Ice Cream | Dreamy Blog

Brandon — April 21, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

Thank you for this simple recipe. I most certainly will be using this one. I’m a whole-food vegan and this is a perfect dessert for me. I’m trying to incorporate more recipes into my blog, especially those that can be made using a blender. Thanks for the recipe and I look forward to learning more.

32. Pingback: synd på den sunde(eller knap så usunde) måde

33. Pingback: Weekend Recap | A New Perspective | Racing Bananas

sarah kuhn — May 3, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

Thank you for this! Bananas and peanut butter are now my favorite food.

35. Pingback: 34 Delicious Two Ingredient Recipes - Topekas News

36. Pingback: Quick Healthy Ice Cream | Back to the Basics

37. Pingback: Guilt Free Ice Cream Food Pix | Recipe by Picture

38. Pingback: Ice cream | Vickie Lim

Looks super good and healthy! I featured this in my blogpost here: http://infinitelittlepleasures.blogspot.com/2013/05/i-scream-you-scream-we-all-scream-for.html :)

40. Pingback: 50 "Skinny" Dessert Recipes | Six Sisters' Stuff