Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Brown spotted bananas were sitting on our counter, staring me down. I tried to ignore them, but they kept haunting me. It seems like I can never eat bananas fast enough. They always turn brown and beg me to put them to good use. I usually bake banana bread, banana cookies, banana cake, or use them in a smoothie. This time I decided to turn them into ice cream since it is so hot outside. I used the popular “One Ingredient Banana Ice Cream” recipe, but added peanut butter, creating a Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com Love this easy and healthy treat!

I was a little skeptical about this recipe. How could two ingredients create a smooth and creamy ice cream?  There is no cream, milk, eggs, or even sugar involved. I was willing to give it a try though. I had to use up my brown bananas!

I sliced up four ripe bananas and put them on a large plate. I put them in the freezer and let them chill until they were frozen-about two hours.

I put the frozen banana slices in my Blendtec blender. If you don’t have a super powerful blender, use a food processor. The blender or food processor needs to be powerful to puree the frozen banana slices. It will take some work from the machine:)

I pulverized the banana slices for a few minutes, scraping down the sides a few times. Then I blended them again. The bananas will take some time to reach an ice cream texture, so be patient. When the bananas were smooth and creamy, I added in the peanut butter and blended the mixture one more time. I was amazed at the rich and silky texture. I grabbed a spoon and tasted the banana peanut butter ice cream and I was amazed. It was the best peanut butter banana ice cream I have ever tasted. I can’t believe I created this heavenly ice cream with only two ingredients. Plus, you don’t even need an ice cream maker to make this recipe. This recipe really is magical!

If you are looking for a new way to use up your ripe bananas, try this Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream. The recipe is super simple to make and no one will ever know there are only two ingredients involved. I love that this Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream is healthy too! I am going to be dishing up this ice cream all summer long!

Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Yield: Serves 4

4 large very ripe bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter

1. Peel bananas and slice into 1/2 inch discs. Arrange banana slices in a single layer on a large plate or baking sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours.

2. Place the banana slices in a food processor or powerful blender. Puree banana slices, scraping down the bowl as needed. Puree until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Add the peanut butter and puree to combine. Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream consistency. If you prefer harder ice cream, place in the freezer for a few hours and then serve.

*Note-if you have a hard time creating a creamy consistency, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to help puree the banana slices. Make sure you use a powerful food processor or blender!

Recipe from The Kitchn

If you like this Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream, you might also like:

Roasted Banana Ice Cream from Brown Eyed Baker
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream from Bake at 350
Nutella Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream from The Hungry Housewife
Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream from Two Peas and Their Pod

Yum Pin It

353 Responses to “Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream”

1. Clancy — November 18, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

Considering this recipe has no cream in it, should it really be called Ice Cream?

2. Derek Lauber — November 30, 2012 @ 9:31 am

This does look incredible. I am going to make this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!

Derek

3. Ana Lillian Barreto — December 5, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

I substituted the peanut butter with “dulce de leche” and it was ufffff sensational!

4. Pingback: Gelato banana e burro di arachidi~ | La Confiserie Manilù~

5. Pingback: Cool Comfort « Much A-Chew About Nothing…

6. Pingback: Homemade Frozen Desserts (without an ice cream machine) « Nutrition.Health.Life.

7. Heather — January 10, 2013 @ 5:18 pm

I just happened upon this and I can’t wait to try it. I think strawberries with the bananas would be a great combination! Even more healthy!

8. Pingback: Homemade Peanut Butter and Banana Ice Cream « Bar Benders Fitness

9. Pingback: Big Things + vegan healthy ice cream [recipe] « Kayla in the City

10. Kelly — January 20, 2013 @ 9:34 am

If we don’t use all of this in one serving can this “ice cream” be kept in the freezer? Or is it more of a one-time use thing?

11. Katie — January 23, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

Are you able to put this back in the freezer when finished? Or will it really only taste best fresh?

Thanks! This sounds so good!
    Katie

12. Sarah — January 24, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

Perfect also with just a touch of unsweetened cocoa powder also. And Almond butter instead of peanut butter is just as delicious! (For a more tropical tasting dessert, add a touch of coconut milk, but that’s too many ingredients for me!) :)

13. Pingback: 1 + 1 = Delicious | Salam

14. Pingback: Guilt-Free Ice Cream! « Delicious Recipes

15. Alicia — January 28, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

This was great! I tried it with nutella instead of peanut butter and it was delicious.

16. Alyssa — January 29, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

I feel like this would be amazing with real maple syrup and some walnuts! Obviously a bit less guilt free, but so much healthier than real maple walnut ice cream!

17. Pingback: Apple Treat EASY « muffins&mocha

18. Pingback: Gelado de banana e pasta de avelãs — Chocolatria

19. Pingback: Very Inspirational Blog Award « muffins&mocha

20. muffinsandmocha — February 12, 2013 @ 11:30 pm

Hello! i’ve nominated you for Very Inspirational Blog Award. Love your blog and cannot wait to try this ice cream!

21. Pingback: Science or Cooking?

22. Crystal — February 18, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

My sisters and I just made this recipe, I will give it two thumbs up. It has the texture and consistency of ice cream, and for those like myself who are lactose intolerant this is a great substitute for ice cream.!!!

23. Two Peas — February 18, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Glad you enjoyed the “ice cream”

24. Pingback: home-made {26} peanut butter-banana ice cream « me…healthier

25. Pingback: The Ultimate List of 41 Amazingly Simple 2 Ingredient Desserts• thefrugalette

26. CaseyCannolis — February 20, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

Tried this tonight, and it was delicious. I will be hoarding bananas in the freezer for sure, now.

27. Niki — February 22, 2013 @ 8:18 am

I’ve been looking at that banana ice cream recipe and thinking I’d like to try it but adding peanut butter. Now I don’t have to experiment on my own, you’ve done it for me! Yay!

28. L¨As — February 24, 2013 @ 3:02 pm

génial! I quickly make out a will, merci

29. Amy — February 24, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

Thank you for sharing this! I love ice cream, but my digestive system does not lol. I made some and it was surprisingly delicious. I added a dash of cocoa powder for a chocolate taste.

30. Pingback: Two 2-Ingredient Dairy-Free Ice Cream Recipes (Gluten And Grain Free) | Crunchy Hot Mama

31. Pingback: Married with Pets » Healthy Ice Cream or Disappointment?

32. Pingback: Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod | OnionGirl

33. Pingback: Two Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream | Totally Love It

34. Ashley — March 5, 2013 @ 7:30 pm

I would like to know once you make it, can it be refroze and portioned out for a later date? Or does that ruin its consistency…

35. Two Peas — March 5, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

Yes, you can store it in the freezer. Let it soften up a bit before scooping.

36. Nichole — March 6, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

This is so good…so easy and the best part is its healthy! I drizzled a little Hershey’s syrup on top of our sons but it’s good with or without. Used my Ninja Pulse…took a few times of scraping down the sides but it did the job. Smooth, creamy and yummy. Thank You!!

37. Pingback: 2 Ingredients Banana Ice-Cream | My "sous-vide" life

38. Victoria — March 11, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

I don’t have a blender or processor.powerful enough. Think i could blend the ingredients together and then freeze?

39. Kim — March 15, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

This sounds great! I’m thinking I can also use the frozen ice cream to make smoothies. Yum! Thanks for the tip!

40. Pingback: National Peanut Board » Peanut Butter’s Perfect Pairs by Food Blogger Evan Thomas