Inspired by everyone’s favorite sandwich, the BLT Salad is a fresh take on a classic flavor combination. It would make a delicious lunch or side dish!
BLT sandwiches are a hit in our house, my boys love them! The classic combo of bacon, lettuce, and tomato is a winner every time. I decided to turn everyone’s favorite sandwich into a loaded salad!
This BLT Salad has a homemade ranch dressing, avocado, crispy bacon, homemade croutons, lettuce and tomato. I add avocado because it makes everything better:) So many good flavors and a great salad for summertime!
If you know someone that isn’t a big fan of salads, make them this one! I guarantee they will get on board! I mean, bacon in a salad? Always a crowd pleaser!
Cooking the Bacon
Bring on the bacon! You can cook the bacon on the stove top or in the oven. Cook the bacon until it’s crispy, then cut it into pieces for the salad.
Cooking it on the stove top is quick and easy. I like to use a cast iron skillet so the bacon gets nice and crispy.
To cook the bacon in the oven, put the strips in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes in an oven heated to 400 degrees. No flipping required! Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and let it cool until you’re ready to use it.
I love making my own dressing! This one is really simple and flavorful. In a small bowl, whisk together:
- Plain Greek yogurt (can use sour cream)
- Milk or buttermilk
- Lemon juice
- Fresh chives
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried parsley
- Salt and pepper
Boom! Your dressing is done. You can make it in advance, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week. It’s always nice to have on hand.
I highly recommend making Homemade Croutons for this salad. They are SO good and add something special to your salad. You will love the crunch and flavor. Plus, the croutons bring the bread element from the BLT sandwich to the salad, tying the two together.
Assembling the Salad
You’ll want to serve this salad immediately after assembling it, but to make your job easier you can prep a lot of the salad in advance.
- Make the dressing and store it in the fridge. It will keep for up to one week.
- Cook the bacon and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge. You can reheat it before adding it to the salad.
- Make your croutons and keep them in a sealed container on the counter.
- You can even wash the lettuce ahead of time.
- Wait to cut the avocado until ready to serve, you don’t want it to turn brown.
- Also, wait to dress the salad until you are ready to eat!
More Salad Recipes
- Tomato, Cucumber, and Avocado Salad
- Easy Green Salad
- Tomato Salad
- Chopped Greek Salad
- Cobb Salad
- Tortellini Caesar Salad
For the dressing:
For the salad:
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, washed and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 2 cups homemade croutons
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- First, make the dressing. In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, milk, lemon juice, chives, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the bacon strips in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Turn the strips as needed until they reach the desired crispness, 8 to 12 minutes. Drain well on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Place the chopped lettuce in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, avocado, croutons, and onion. Chop the cooked bacon strips and add them to the salad. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Molly
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.