Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with spinach, blueberries, almonds, avocado, feta cheese, and a light lemon poppy seed dressing. This is the perfect salad for spring and summer!
Brussels Sprouts Salad
Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables and I especially love them in salads. That’s right, you can finely chop or shave Brussels sprouts to make salad greens. They make the BEST base for salads. The shaved Brussels sprouts are crisp, crunchy, and go great with so many salad fixings.
I love making my favorite Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad during the fall months, but wanted a Brussels sprout salad with spring and summer ingredients. This Blueberry Brussels Sprouts Salad screams spring and summer! It is my new favorite salad, I have been making it nonstop!
This salad has all of my favorite ingredients in one big salad bowl! It is a powerhouse of healthy ingredients too, lots of super foods in this one! It is so fresh and delicious!
- Brussels Sprouts-Like I mentioned above, shaved Brussels sprouts are so good in salads. You are going to LOVE them…even if you think you don’t like Brussels sprouts. I promise you will love these crisp shredded Brussels.
- Spinach-I also add in finely chopped spinach for a different shade of green and boost of nutrients.
- Blueberries-Fresh blueberries add a burst of juicy sweetness. This salad is SO good when blueberries are in season.
- Avocado-Avocado makes everything better, it was a no brainer for this salad.
- Almonds-Sliced almonds add a nice crunch to the salad. Plus, I love the healthy fats and protein they bring to the salad. Walnuts or pistachios would work well too!
- Red Onion-Thin red onion slices add color and flavor.
- Feta Cheese-Crumbled feta cheese adds a creamy element that is so delicious! If you need the salad to be vegan, you can leave out the cheese. Parmesan cheese or goat cheese are good options too!
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
I like to finish this salad with a simple Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing. It is so refreshing and the poppy seeds make it extra pretty! You can find poppy seeds in the spice aisle at any grocery store. If your store has a bulk bin section, you can usually find them there too.
To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard, garlic, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or jar. Whisk or shake until well combined. The salad dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week so you can make it in advance.
How to Make Blueberry Brussels Sprouts Salad
- To make the salad, you need to shred the Brussels sprouts. Don’t worry, it is easy! You can use a food processor, mandoline, or sharp knife to shred the sprouts, all methods work really well.
- I also like to chop up the spinach so it is easy to eat with the shredded Brussels sprouts. If you want to use kale instead of spinach, go for it. It is good too!
- Place the Brussels sprouts and spinach in a large bowl and toss. Add the blueberries, almonds, red onion, avocado, and feta cheese. Drizzle with the lemon poppy seed dressing and toss until the salad is well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- This salad is best the day it is made, but will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. If you are going to serve it later, wait to add in the avocado. The other ingredients hold up nicely.
More Salad Recipes:
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Blueberry Corn Salad
- Summer Caprese Salad
- Grilled Chicken Blueberry Salad
Blueberry Brussels Sprouts Salad
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with spinach, blueberries, almonds, avocado, red onion, feta cheese, and a fresh lemon poppy seed dressing.
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 15 minutes
For the lemon poppy seed dressing:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts ends trimmed
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 ripe avocados peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To make the dressing: In a a small bowl or jar, combine olive oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard, garlic, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper. Whisk or shake until well combined.
- To make the salad: First, shave the brussels sprouts. Use a food processor with the slicing attachment and pulse until the brussels sprouts are thinly sliced. You can also use a mandoline or sharp knife if you don’t have a food processor.
- Place the brussels sprouts and spinach in a large bowl and toss. Add the blueberries, almonds, red onion, avocado, and feta cheese. Drizzle with the lemon poppy seed dressing and toss until the salad is well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve.
This salad is best the day it is made, but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
easy, homemade dressing