Broccoli Cheddar Fritters- Easy fritters made with quinoa, broccoli, and cheddar cheese. This easy and healthy fritter recipe can be served as a snack or appetizer.
Broccoli Cheddar Fritters
In our cookbook, there is a recipe for Cauliflower Quinoa Fritters with Romesco Sauce that I LOVE! The other day I was going to make them, but I didn’t have cauliflower, I only had broccoli in the fridge. I decided to mix things up and make Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Fritters and I am so glad I did.
These fritters are delicious. The broccoli cheddar combo is perfection! And the boys gave them two thumbs up, which made me super happy! I am always looking for new ways to get them to eat their veggies. Broccoli Cheddar Fritters to the rescue!
- Cooked quinoa
- Broccoli florets
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Salt and pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray or olive oil, for frying
How to Cook Quinoa
Quinoa is one of our favorite grains! It’s just as easy to cook as rice, and it’s high in protein. I love it’s slightly-sweet taste and fluffy texture. Here’s how to cook perfect quinoa:
- Start with a rinse! DO NOT skip this step. Quinoa has an outer layer that needs to be rinsed off or it could leave you with a bitter, soapy flavor. No thank you! I use a double mesh strainer since quinoa is so small.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and toast the rinsed quinoa for about 2 minutes.
- Now add 1 ¾ cup water and a pinch of salt to the pan. Bring it to a rolling boil then lower the heat, cover it, and leave it alone for 15 minutes.
- Now pull it from the stove but leave the lid on! Let it stand, covered, for an additional 5 minutes. This ensures all the water will absorb!
- This makes about 3 cups of cooked quinoa, so you’ll have a bit leftover after making Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Fritters.
Making the fritter mixture is actually really simple: just combine all the ingredients! I let it rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before forming it into fritters. This makes it easier to handle! Once ready, pull the mixture from the fridge and form the dough into 3-inch discs, about ¾” thick. Now they’re ready to cook!
How to Cook Broccoli Cheddar Fritters
You can cook the fritters in the oven, air-fryer, or fry them up in a skillet on the stove. I have made them all three ways and all ways work well. I personally prefer the oven or air-fryer because it’s healthier than frying and less messy, but frying does create a nice, crispy fritter. You can’t go wrong! Here are the instructions for each method.
Baked in the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line the fritters up on the greased rack and spray the tops of the fritters with nonstick cooking spray, too.
- Bake them for 20 to 25 minutes or until the fritters are golden brown and slightly crispy. Delicious!
- Start by spraying the fritters with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer them to the air fryer, placing them in a single layer and making sure they are not touching.
- Cook at 400 degrees F until golden brown and cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Fry the fritters for 5 minutes on one side and then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes on the other side. They’ll look golden and crispy! Add more olive oil as needed while frying.
- Place the fritters on a large plate that has been lined with paper towels and cover them with aluminum foil while you finish cooking all of the fritters.
Dips for Fritters
Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Fritters are so fun to dip! Here are some great options for dipping fritters:
- Marinara Sauce
- Tomato Soup (I love dunking these fritters in a bowl of hot tomato soup!)
- Tahini Sauce
- Plain Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- Avocado Ranch Dip
More Broccoli Recipes
- Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Broccoli Grilled Cheese
- Lemon Broccoli Tortellini
- Roasted Broccoli Quinoa Salad
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Broccoli Cheddar Fritters
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, broccoli, and beaten eggs. Add the breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir until the mixture is well combined and moistened.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. This will make it easier to form the fritters.
- Form the mixture into fritters, pressing and flattening with your hands. The fritters should be about 3-inches wide and 3/4-inches thick.
- You can bake, fry, or air-fry the fritters.
- For Baking: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the fritters on the greased rack. Spray the tops of the fritters with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until fritters are golden brown and slightly crispy.
- For Frying: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Fry the fritters for 5 minutes and then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the fritters are crispy. If you need to add additional olive oil while you are frying, you can. Place the fritters on a large plate that has been lined with paper towels and cover with aluminum foil while you finish cooking all of the fritters.
- For Air-Frying: Spray the fritters with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer fritters to the air fryer, placing them in a single layer, making sure they are not touching. Cook at 400 degrees F until golden brown and cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes. You might have to cook in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Serve the broccoli cheddar quinoa fritters with marinara sauce, ranch, avocado ranch, plain Greek yogurt for dipping. You can also dip the fritters in tomato basil soup.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.