Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars-these easy banana bars are made with brown butter and chocolate chips. They are full of flavor and a great way to use up ripe bananas.
I made these Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars for a friend’s party a few weeks ago and they were a hit. I promised my friends I would get them the recipe, but I keep forgetting to text them. Oops! So you all benefit today because I am sharing the recipe on the blog. They get the recipe, you get the recipe, everyone wins! If you don’t think you are winning, make these bars and you will change your mind. They are super tasty! Winning for sure! If you like banana bread, you are going to LOVE these bars!
I LOVE when I have brown bananas to use up. I have recently been obsessed with my Chocolate Banana Bread, but I decided to change things up and make banana bars. They are always a favorite dessert.
This time I kicked things up a notch and used brown butter. I have to pat myself on the back for this one. The brown butter brought out the BEST flavor in the bananas. I also added chocolate chips because chocolate is always a YES in my book!
There is nothing too fancy about these bars, but the flavors are incredible. They will surprise you. They are one of those bars that you will want to make over and over again. They are easy to whip up for a weeknight dessert, lazy Sunday afternoon, or midnight sweet craving. They do have a cakey texture, but I think that is a good thing with these bars. They will remind you of banana bread, cake, and blondies…all in one dessert! You can’t go wrong with these Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars! Enjoy!
If you like these Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars, you might also like:
- Easy Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Salted Caramel Cashew Banana Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Layer Cake
Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed banana, from 1 large ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch square baking pan nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- First, brown the butter. Cut the butter into tablespoons. Place in a medium skillet. Melt the butter over medium heat, swirling it in the pan occasionally. The butter will foam and pop, so be careful. Continue to swirl the pan often. Remove pan from heat once the butter starts to brown and smells nutty. There will be small brown bits on the bottom. The butter should be an amber color.
- In a large bowl, combine the browned butter and brown sugar. Stir until smooth. Add in the egg and stir until combined. Stir in the mashed banana and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and flour. Stir until just combined. Don’t over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan, spreading into an even layer. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until center is set and edges are light golden brown, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack and let cool completely before cutting into squares.