Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars-these easy banana bars are made with brown butter and chocolate chips. They are full of flavor and a great way to use up ripe bananas.
I made these Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars for a friend’s party a few weeks ago and they were a hit. I promised my friends I would get them the recipe, but I keep forgetting to text them. Oops! So you all benefit today because I am sharing the recipe on the blog. They get the recipe, you get the recipe, everyone wins! If you don’t think you are winning, make these bars and you will change your mind. They are super tasty! Winning for sure! If you like banana bread, you are going to LOVE these bars!
I LOVE when I have brown bananas to use up. I have recently been obsessed with my Chocolate Banana Bread, but I decided to change things up and make banana bars. They are always a favorite dessert.
This time I kicked things up a notch and used brown butter. I have to pat myself on the back for this one. The brown butter brought out the BEST flavor in the bananas. I also added chocolate chips because chocolate is always a YES in my book!
There is nothing too fancy about these bars, but the flavors are incredible. They will surprise you. They are one of those bars that you will want to make over and over again. They are easy to whip up for a weeknight dessert, lazy Sunday afternoon, or midnight sweet craving. They do have a cakey texture, but I think that is a good thing with these bars. They will remind you of banana bread, cake, and blondies…all in one dessert! You can’t go wrong with these Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars! Enjoy!
If you like these Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars, you might also like:
- Easy Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Salted Caramel Cashew Banana Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Layer Cake
Brown Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed banana, from 1 large ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch square baking pan nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- First, brown the butter. Cut the butter into tablespoons. Place in a medium skillet. Melt the butter over medium heat, swirling it in the pan occasionally. The butter will foam and pop, so be careful. Continue to swirl the pan often. Remove pan from heat once the butter starts to brown and smells nutty. There will be small brown bits on the bottom. The butter should be an amber color.
- In a large bowl, combine the browned butter and brown sugar. Stir until smooth. Add in the egg and stir until combined. Stir in the mashed banana and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and flour. Stir until just combined. Don’t over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan, spreading into an even layer. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until center is set and edges are light golden brown, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack and let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Oh, my mouth is watering over these bars! Can’t wait to get my hands on a few of these yummy bars!
oh wow!! these look so amazing Maria! and banana and chocolate is the best combo!
These look so delicious with the brown butter!
Hi there! Do you recommend doubling this recipe to make in a 9″x13″ pan? Thanks 🙂
I am wondering the same – or even if a single batch will be too thin in a 9 x 13.
Perfect timing. I was looking for a recipe to use a ripe banana.
Mmmm this is way better than a regular old banana bread. I’m always game for brown butter and chocolate chips!
Got to make these soon!!
These looks amazing! I need them in my life!
Yum! These look sinfully delicious!
hey girl- these bars look amazing!
These look fantastic Maria!!
Ha! I’ve got a skillet cookie to be posted with the same ingredient combo. Great minds 😉
Just made these. Wonderful recipe, so flavourful and moist. Thank you for yet another winner recipe.
That brown butter sure adds that something special.
These look amazing! Do you think they would freeze well?
I haven’t tried freezing them, but I am sure they would be ok.
nothing gets me more than brown butter! seriously delicious!
These were delicious! I didn’t have time to brown the butter with my little ones around so just used melted butter and they turned out great. The whole family loved them.
Just made this recipe and it is easy and delicious. I love the fact that there is no white sugar in this recipe. I live at 6,000 ft. so I reduced my cooking time by 5 minutes, but didn’t alter anything else.
Can I replace the brown sugar with maple syrup?
These are absolutely delicious and a perfect anytime treat. I brought these to work and they received rave reviews. Just enough banana flavor, chocolate chips, and brown butter making everything better made these bars go fast. Thanks for the recipe!
As a side note, I love the addition of the Jump to Recipe button. As I’m making recipes, sometimes the page will reload and then you start off all the way back at the top again. Thanks for making my life easier!
Glad you liked the bars!!
I’m really not even a big fan of banana, so I set out to make these for my kids. Oh my gosh, were they delicious! Now I’m trying not to eat the whole pan.
double for a larger pan?????
Where do you store these?
I’ve been making these for quite a while but never left a review. Thank you for this recipe!!!! My family loves it as written. Sometimes I get naughty and add cinnamon as well as a mixture of semi sweet, milk choc, and white choc chips. So good and ready in 35 min!
Thanks for letting me know your family loves them!
My Family LOVES these bars.
The browned butter adds a delicious rich twist.
They are my kid’s breakfast on the go of choice.
I substituted a little rolled oats for flour last time and they turned out good to change it up a bit, although my kids prefer your original recipe.
Thanks for a great recipe!
Oh my goodness! These are so good and they baked up perfectly. Thank you!