Chocolate Banana Cookies- Use the brown bananas on your counter to make these decadent and delicious chocolate cookies! The chocolate banana combo is perfection!
This decadent chocolate cookie recipe is inspired by my Chocolate Banana Bread, which is a Two Peas & Their Pod favorite! If you love my chocolate banana bread, you are going to LOVE my Chocolate Banana Cookies too!
As you know, I am absolutely cookie crazy. I love baking, sharing, and eating cookies more than any other dish! When I saw how much everyone was loving my Chocolate Banana Bread, I knew I needed to make it in cookie form. And so the Chocolate Banana Cookie was born! The cookies are soft, chewy, and loaded with chocolate flavor, but don’t worry, you still get a hint of banana.
I hope you love this rich and chocolatey cookie. It’s a new favorite in our house!
This is perfect for using those brown bananas on your counter! Other than that, it’s pretty basic cookie ingredients. You’ll need:
- All-purpose flour– If you need the cookies to be gluten-free, you can use all-purpose gluten-free flour. I like Cup4Cup.
- Cocoa powder – I like to use Dutch process cocoa because it gives the cookie a richer, deeper flavor than regular cocoa powder, but regular unsweetened cocoa powder works well too.
- Baking soda– Make sure your baking soda is fresh.
- Sea salt – Salt in the cookies and on top! Flaked sea salt for sprinkling on top of the cookies is a must in my kitchen! It brings out the richness of the chocolate flavor and just adds a little something extra that everyone loves.
- Butter– I use unsalted butter so I can control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Sugar– You need granulated sugar and light brown sugar for this recipe. Always pack the brown sugar.
- A ripe banana – The browner the banana, the better! For ultimate sweetness!
- Egg yolk– You only need an egg yolk for this recipe, no egg white. The yolk makes the cookies rich and chewy.
- Vanilla extract- Pure vanilla extract is the best!
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – Guittard chocolate chips are my favorite!
How to Make Chocolate Banana Cookies
- Let’s get ready to rumble! Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk your dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sea salt.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugars until they’re combined. Add in the banana, mix, and then the vanilla and egg yolk.
- We’re going to add in dry ingredients now, but be sure you don’t over mix! Stir them in until just combined, then finish with chocolate chips. So chocolatey and delicious-looking already!
- Scoop them out onto the baking sheet, about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie and 2 inches apart on the pan. Gently press down on the cookie dough balls with the palm of your hand to flatten the cookies a little. Don’t smash them down completely, just gently press.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes. The outsides will be just set and the centers will still look soft. This is just right! Once you pull them out of the oven, sprinkle the top with some sea salt. You can also press a couple chocolate chips into the tops of the cookie for presentation!
- Let them cook on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve to any and all cookie lovers you know!
How to Store
You can keep these on the counter in an airtight container for 3-5 days! You could also freeze your finished cookies for up to 3 months. Once made, cookie dough can be kept in the freezer until ready to use–just add a minute or two to the baking time.
More Cookie Recipes
Like I said, I’m cookie crazy! My site is absolutely filled with cookie recipes, but here are some of my favorites…
- Monster Cookies
- Classic No Bake Cookies
- Triple Chip Chocolate Cookies
- Ultimate Chocolate Cookies
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Chip Cookie
Chocolate Banana Cookies
Use the brown bananas on your counter to make these decadent and delicious chocolate banana cookies!
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 25 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch process or unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 ripe banana mashed (1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling on cookies
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the melted butter and sugars until combined. Add the mashed banana and mix until combined. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and mix again.
Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Don’t over mix. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Use a cookie scoop or spoon to scoop the dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie. Roll into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Gently flatten the tops of the cookies with the palm of your hand. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until set but still soft in the center. Remove from the oven and sprinkle cookies with flaky sea salt. You can also gently press a few chocolate chips onto the tops of the cookies to make them extra pretty while the cookies are still warm.
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Photos by Molly
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.