Chocolate Snickerdoodles will remind you of a classic snickerdoodle but in chocolate form! The cookies are soft, chewy, and SO delicious! Chocolate lovers will love this Easy snickerdoodle cookie Recipe!
Did you see our big announcement? Thanks for all of your kind comments. You guys are seriously the best!
Now, onto cookies! And not just any cookies, but Chocolate Snickerdoodles. That’s right, I turned the classic snickerdoodle cookie into a chocolate snickerdoodle. If you are a traditionalist, you might be thinking that I am crazy and might not be up for trying my chocolate snickerdoodles, but just wait. Remember my Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles? Yeah, everyone loves those and I think you will love this twist on the classic snickerdoodle too. I mean, come on, Chocolate and Snickerdoodles…YES!
So what is a chocolate snickerdoodle?
- Basically, a regular snickerdoodle cookie with the addition of cocoa powder.
- The cookies are still super soft and chewy, a must for snickerdoodles.
- They also have cream of tartar, like traditional snickerdoodles. The acid in cream of tartar gives snickerdoodles a slight tangy flavor and makes the cookies chewy because the cream of tartar prevents the sugar from crystalizing and making the cookies crunchy.
- The cookies have cinnamon in the dough and they get rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture before baking. If you are worried chocolate and cinnamon don’t go together, don’t worry. The hint of cinnamon is SO nice with the chocolate.
The cookies are easy to mix up with every day ingredients. Make sure you don’t over bake the snickerdoodles. You want them to stay soft and chewy!
When you bite into your first cookie you will be expecting a normal chocolate cookie, but the chocolate isn’t overpowering. You will taste the chocolate, but then you will be hit with the hint of cinnamon and the familiar taste of a snickerdoodle. You might ponder the cookie for a minute and wonder if a chocolate snickerdoodle is a real thing. You might even eat three cookies to determine if you like chocolate snickerdoodles. And on your fourth cookie, you will be SOLD! The combination is real and it is SO good! Chocolate lovers will especially love this snickerdoodle recipe.
Go wild and bake up a batch of Chocolate Snickerdoodles. They will surprise you!
If you like these chocolate snickerdoodles, you might also like:
- Classic Snickerdoodles
- White Chocolate Dipped Snickerdoodles
- Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles
- Flourless Chocolate Cookies
- Prep Time
- 30 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 40 minutes
- 30 cookies
For the cookies:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon sugar mixture:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined.
Add the dry ingredients and turn the mixer on low. Mix until just combined.
In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
Form the dough into balls, about 2 tablespoons per cookie. Roll the cookie dough balls in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set around the edges but still soft in the center. Don't overbake.
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.