Today is the first day of spring and I’ve got major spring fever. Bring on the tulips, chirping birds, green grass, picnics at the park, and sunshine. I am also in the mood for lemon everything! Lemon pancakes, lemon muffins, lemon salads, lemon bars, and lemon cookies. Hellooooo spring!
To celebrate the first day of spring, I made Coconut Lemon Macaroon Nests. These little nests are bursting with lemon and scream spring! And they are a fun treat for Easter too, which is coming right up! Spring has officially sprung!
Last year we made Coconut Nutella Macaroon Nests and they have become a favorite. The only problem, Josh can’t eat them because he is allergic to all things that involve nuts, even Nutella. I know, sad day.
I really don’t need to be eating an entire batch of Nutella Macaroon Nests by myself, swimsuit season is right around the corner, so I created coconut macaroon nest cookies that Josh can help me eat. Josh loves lemon, so I knew he would love these lemony coconutty treats!
The coconut macaroon nests have fresh lemon juice and zest mixed into the coconut. I baked the nests until they were set and slightly golden brown around the edges. When I pulled them out of the oven, I pressed my thumb into the center to create a little bird’s nest.
I filled the centers with lemon curd. I love our lemon curd recipe, it is easy to make and SO good. You can use store bought lemon curd if you are in a pinch! I like Trader Joe’s lemon curd.
I decorated the nests with little “eggs.” I took a trip down the Easter candy aisle and found some pretty pastel jelly beans. They look like eggs and taste even better. They are the perfect sweet ending to my cute little nests.
Celebrate spring with Coconut Lemon Macaroon Nests. They are easy to make and super cute! They are perfect for ringing in spring! They are also a great addition to any Easter basket and will also look great on any Easter brunch or dinner table. So festive and fun! Happy spring!
Coconut Lemon Macaroon Nests
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- 10 nests
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup lemon curd
- Jelly beans
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, egg white, vanilla extract,lemon juice and salt. Stir until combined. Add in the lemon zest and coconut. Mix well.
- With a spoon, scoop up about 2 Tablespoons of the dough and place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Form the cookies into the shape of a bird nest. Press down the center with your thumb.
- Bake cookies for 18 to 20 minutes, or until slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and press your thumb down in the center of the nests again. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes or until they are firm and set. Remove with a spatula onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Place about a tablespoon of lemon curd in the center of each nest. Place 2 jelly beans in the center of the nest. Finish decorating the nests and enjoy!
- Note-you can make these 2-3 days in advance. Store in an air tight container in the fridge. Let come to room temperature and then decorate with jelly beans.