Coconut Lime Berry Cake
Our weekend was amazing. We had the most wonderful time at the EVO Conference. My brain is still too full to process the information, but I will try to get a recap post up soon. In the mean time, I have a fabulous cake recipe to share with you-Coconut Lime Berry Cake. If you are a regular follower of our blog, you know we love lime recipes. Lime cookies, pie, cake, rice, muffins, etc. We are obsessed. So when I saw a recipe for Coconut Lime Berry Cake in Everday Food, I knew I had to try it.
This cake screams summer! The cake is loaded with coconut, lime zest, and lime juice. There is buttermilk in the batter so the cake is very tender and moist. It is also very easy to throw together. You bake it in a 9 x13 pan and there is no frosting involved-my kind of cake:)
After the cake batter is evenly spread in the pan, you top it with fresh berries. I used raspberries and blueberries because that is what we had in our refrigerator. Blackberries would also work well. The berries really brightened up the cake. They are gorgeous!
The cake only takes 35-40 minutes to bake. The cake rises up to meet the berries while baking. The berries are the “icing” on the cake. They are swirled throughout the coconut lime batter. You can serve the cake with whipped cream or ice cream, but we enjoyed it plain. It is a great snack cake. Because there is no frosting, the cake is easy to transport which makes it perfect for summer picnics, pool parties, and bbq’s.
If you are looking for a new summer dessert, bake this Coconut Lime Berry Cake. The combination of coconut, lime, and berries is heavenly!
Coconut Lime Berry Cake
Yield: Serves 12
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
2 tablespoons plus 3 tablespoons lime juice
3 cups mixed berries (I used raspberries and blueberries)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 cup sugar on highuntil light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined.
3. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and beat until combined. Stir in lime zest and 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Pour batter into dish. Smooth top with a rubber spatula.
4. In a medium bowl, toss together 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, berries, and 3 tablespoons of lime juice. Scatter berry mixture over batter. Bake cake for 35-40 minutes, or until cake is golden at edges and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food
All images and text © .
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Coconut Lime Berry Cake, you might also like: