This homemade Italian Dressing is made with olive oil, vinegar, herbs, and spices. It is easy to whisk up and tastes so much better than store bought dressing.
Italian Dressing has always been one of my favorite salad dressings because it is light, zesty, and herbaceous! It is great on green salads, pasta salads, tortellini salads, and can even be used as a marinade for chicken, beef, and vegetables.
Of course, you can buy Italian dressing at the store, there are a million brands, BUT homemade salad dressing is SO much better and it only takes a few minutes to make! Plus, it’s less expensive and there are no weird preservatives or additives involved.
I always have the ingredients on hand to make this dressing and I bet you do too! To make this Italian Dressing, you will need:
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar (can use white wine vinegar)
- Parmesan cheese (finely grated so it will whisk in)
- Honey (just a little to balance out the acidity)
- Dried herbs (basil, oregano, parsley)
- Onion powder
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Italian Dressing
To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, Parmesan cheese, honey, basil, oregano, parsley, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
You can also combine all of the ingredients in a jar. Seal the lid on tight and shake, shake, shake until well combined.
How to Store
Store the dressing in a jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. The dressing will firm up in the fridge because there are no added emulsifiers. Don’t worry, that is totally normal. Just take the dressing out of the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving. Give the dressing a good shake or whisk and it will be good to go!
More Salad Dressings:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, Parmesan cheese, honey, basil, oregano, parsley, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Molly
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod
Hi, looks delish! Can I leave out the parmesan cheese?
So much better than store bought and so easy to make with stuff already in your pantry.