A campfire twist on the classic puppy chow treat! S’mores Puppy Chow has marshmallow, graham and chocolate flavors mixed into the traditional chocolate peanut butter cereal treat. Beware, it’s addicting!
Everyone loves a huge bowl of Puppy Chow (aka muddy buddies). It’s a favorite on my site and a favorite at our house. Well, get ready for my latest sweet snack obsession, S’mores Puppy Chow. Oh yes, adding s’mores into the mix is a VERY good thing!
Just like regular Puppy Chow, it’s super easy to put together and has your favorite campfire s’mores flavors. Graham, chocolate, and marshmallow…the BEST!
This is the perfect snack for parties, potlucks, movie nights, camping trips, road trips, or just because! Plus, the kids LOVE this easy recipe! A big handful of s’mores puppy chow is always a good idea.
We start with the classic Puppy Chow ingredients! That’s…
- Rice Chex cereal – Corn Chex is good too, but I personally prefer Rice Chex.
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet is my favorite, but milk chocolate will work too!
- Peanut butter – Use creamy peanut butter, think JIF or Skippy.
- Butter – I use unsalted.
- Vanilla – Vanilla is NEVER a bad idea
- Confectioner’s sugar – a MUST to coat the cereal!
…and then we also have some fun with s’mores flavors! So we’re also mixing in:
- Golden Grahams cereal – For that graham cracker part of the s’mores!
- Mini marshmallows – Of course!
- Hershey’s chocolate bar – The chocolate bar is optional, but I like to add it for garnish at the end because it ties the s’mores theme together.
How to Make S’mores Puppy Chow
Amazing news, friends: this is a NO BAKE recipe! No oven required, just a little microwaving and mixing. It’s a great, quick dessert or even one the kids can help make!
- In a microwave-safe bowl, put the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter and zap it for one minute. Stir, then microwave for 30 more seconds. Everything should be nice and smooth when stirred. Add in the vanilla at this point!
- In a large mixing bowl (the biggest one you have!), pour the Rice Chex and 3 cups of the Golden Grahams. Pour the melty, smooth chocolate and peanut butter mixture in and gently stir. I try not to crunch the Chex if I can help it! Stir until it’s evenly coated, and then transfer everything into a large Ziploc bag.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar into the bag, seal it TIGHTLY (otherwise you’ll have a huge mess!), and shake it until the cereal is all coated with powdered sugar.
- Pour it out onto parchment paper or wax paper. Let it rest there until it cools off and the chocolate is set.
- Place the puppy chow in a large bowl, add the remaining Golden Grahams and marshmallows, and garnish with the Hershey’s Bar. Give it a gentle stir, serve, and devour! Prepare to be shocked by how quickly it disappears.
How to Store
You can keep S’mores Puppy Chow for up to two weeks on the counter! Just put it in an airtight container. If it’s warm, it might do better in the refrigerator so the chocolate doesn’t melt. Fun fact: you can also freeze this delicious treat! Put it in the freezer for up to a month. I like keeping a stash in the freezer so I can sneak a little here and there when I need a sugar fix.
I will warn you though, this easy no bake treat is SO addicting. Once you start snacking, it’s hard to stop! It never lasts long at our house and every time I take it to a party or potluck, I come home with an empty bowl.
More No Bake Desserts
S’mores Puppy Chow
S’mores Puppy Chow has marshmallow, graham and chocolate flavors mixed into the traditional chocolate peanut butter cereal treat. Beware, it's addicting!
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 minute
- Total Time
- 11 minutes
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 6 cups Golden Grahams cereal, divided
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 full size Hershey’s Bar, optional, for garnish
Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir. Put the bowl back into the microwave and heat for an additional 30 seconds or until mixture is smooth when stirred. Add the vanilla extract and stir again.
Pour the Rice Chex and 3 cups of Golden Grahams cereal in a large mixing bowl. Add the chocolate peanut butter mixture and gently stir until cereal is evenly coated. Pour the coated cereal into a large Ziploc bag. Add the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake until the cereal is well coated. Spread on parchment paper or waxed paper. Let sit until cool and chocolate is set.
Place the s’mores puppy chow in a large bowl. Add the remaining Golden Grahams and marshmallows. Break the Hershey’s Bar into squares and add to the puppy chow for garnish, optional. Serve!
Store the s’mores puppy chow in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. If it is warm in your kitchen, store the puppy chow in the refrigerator. You can also freeze in a freezer container for up to 1 month.
Photos by Molly
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod