Summer Tortellini Salad-this easy tortellini pasta salad has all of your favorite summer ingredients: tomatoes, Red Pepper, corn, cucumbers, and the BEST basil vinaigrette. It is the perfect salad for summer potlucks.
Our garden is out of control and I am pleasantly surprised. I have never really had a green thumb, but this year I feel like all of my fingers are green. Our garden is thriving, especially our basil. I can’t keep up! I have been making pesto and basil vinaigrette nonstop and I still don’t make a dent in our basil.
I decided to put all of our garden goodies to use and make a Summer Tortellini Salad. Best decision ever because it was easy to make and the entire family loved it, including the kids. You need to put this salad recipe on your summer to do list because it is guaranteed to be a favorite!
Perfect Summer Salad
Most of you LOVE our Greek Tortellini Salad and I think you will like this summer tortellini salad too. It is the perfect cold pasta salad for summer BBQ’s, potlucks, and picnics. I love that you can make it in advance and it has all of summer’s BEST ingredients like:
- red pepper
If you have a garden, chances are you have all of these ingredients right outside in your yard, if not, go ask your neighbor or hit up the farmers market. Make the most of summer’s produce, it is all so good!
And I have to say that the basil vinaigrette MAKES this salad. If you’ve had my basil vinaigrette, you know what I am talking, if you haven’t, you are in for a real treat. It is the BEST!
- You can use fresh or frozen cheese tortellini for this salad and you should be able to find it at any grocery store. If you can’t find tortellini, you can use your favorite pasta salad, but the cheese tortellini makes the pasta salad extra tasty.
- I love using grape or cherry tomatoes in this salad because they are so sweet and colorful. If you have larger garden tomatoes to use up, you can chop the tomatoes and add them to the salad.
- Cook the tortellini according to the package instructions, it will only take a few minutes. Once it floats to the top it is done, you don’t want to over cook it.
- Rinse the tortellini with cold water and drain well.
- You don’t have to cook the corn before adding it to the salad. Use a sharp knife to remove the corn kernels from the cob. If you can’t find good, fresh sweet corn, you can use frozen corn.
- You can make the basil vinaigrette in advance, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Just whisk it before adding it to the salad.
- Pesto would also work well in this salad.
- I like to finish the salad with Parmesan cheese and a little extra basil.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Enjoy this easy tortellini salad all summer long! It is a family favorite!
More Pasta Salad Recipes
- Greek Tortellini Salad
- Tortellini Caesar Salad
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Southwest Pasta Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Bacon, Corn, and Tomato Pasta Salad
Summer Tortellini Salad
- 20 oz cheese tortellini, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 ear sweet corn, kernels removed (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Basil vinaigrette
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and chopped basil, for garnish
- Cook the tortellini according to package instructions. Rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Place the cooked tortellini in a big bowl. Add the tomatoes, bell pepper, corn, cucumber, and green onions. Drizzle with basil vinaigrette and stir until the ingredients are well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Finish the salad with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Note-the salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.
YUM! This literally has *all* of my summertime faves!
Yum, this salad looks incredible and I love all the ingredients, plus it’s so simple to make!
Just made this recipe and the only change was that I pan grilled halloumi cheese slices the day before, chilled them and when cold the next day, cut them into small cubes to replace the Parmesan; super tasty! 🙂
AMAZING! The basil vinegarette is EVERYTHING coupled with the dynamics of the pasta and a little crunch from the sweet corn. I will definitely make this again! Thank you for sharing!
Yay! So happy you liked it!
Dumb question, but do you grill the ear of corn first?
No, you don’t have to grill the corn. Raw corn is delicious! You can grill it if you want though!
I’m making this for a potluck the night before. Should I put the dressing on the night before or wait until right before serving it? Thanks!
Put some on and then right before serving, add the rest to freshen up the salad. Enjoy!
Amazing recipe! I had prepared pesto in my fridge, so just added red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to it to make a delicious “pesto vinaigrette” and it is SO DELICIOUS! Love the fresh corn in it…I’ve never had raw corn in a salad but now it’s my favourite. I’m looking forward to making this again this summer
Love this recipe. Served it to 16 friends who came for dinner last week. Served it with grilled chicken. It was a BIG hit.
This was amazing. The dressing is what sends it over the top. Thanks for sharing / creating! I added toasted pine nuts for crunch – given the basil / pesto theme. It really makes this super fancy! The flavors are so fresh and summer in a bowl! We ate ours chilled. Left tomatoes on counter and rest of it into the fridge in advance…
So happy you loved the recipe! Love the pine nut addition!
I don’t have a food processor. Any simplified version of the dressing available?
You can use a blender!
So excited to try this recipe! How many servings is this?
Made this wonderful recipe yesterday for a lady’s get-together and it was a huge hit!! Can’t wait to make it for our next family function!
Fantastic! I’ve been looking for a good pasta salad recipe for years, and this is it! I used tortellini from the freezer section and Trader Joe’s frozen Roasted Corn, to keep it easy.
This is one of the best pasta salad recipes! Thank you for sharing – love the basil vinaigrette! I add fresh spinach to the salad too. Really outstanding!
Glad you loved it!
Going though Pinterest and cleaning out my boards and came upon this recipe. I only make it in the summer (live in the NE) but this is my all time, with a doubt, go to, very favorite summer pasta salad. The basil vinaigrette dressing is just perfect. This is a terrific crowd pleaser as well. Will definitely make again, and again and you guessed it, again. 5 ⭐️
This salad is deliciously light and refreshing! It pairs well with a main course or as a stand-alone meal. Simple to make and quickly devoured! Great in any season.
Yay! Glad it was a winner for you!