Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese-this grilled cheese sandwich is layered with sweet potatoes, kale, caramelized red onions, rosemary, and lots of cheese! Oh, and it is cooked in brown butter too! It’s amazing!
Our Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza is my favorite fall pizza. I insist we make it once a week during the fall months. Well, the other day I was craving my favorite pizza, but we didn’t have time to make pizza dough, so I turned my favorite pizza into a grilled cheese sandwich. This Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese reminds me of my favorite fall pizza, but is easier to make and do I dare say it might be better? I have a new favorite fall food!
I love eating grilled cheese sandwiches during the fall months because grilled cheese are classic comfort food and go perfectly with a bowl of warm soup!
This grilled cheese sandwich has all of the same flavors as my favorite pizza: sweet potatoes, kale, caramelized red onions, rosemary, and cheese. I used Havarti because that is what we had in the fridge, but fontina, mozzarella, brie, or white cheddar would be good too! You can’t go wrong with your cheese choice.
I am sharing this grilled cheese sandwich for my good friend Jess’s virtual baby shower today so I had to “trash” it up, Jessica style. If you read Jess’s blog, you know she comes up with the most creative, decadent, and fun recipes. And I hope you have her new cookbook, Seriously Delish. Remember those chocolate peanut butter brownies I made? Yeah, they are from Jess’s book! Best brownies ever!
I put my Jessica thinking cap on and decided to cook the grilled cheese in brown butter. The grilled cheese would be fine cooked in regular butter, but the brown butter makes the sandwich extra special…and we are all about extra special since we are celebrating Jess and her bundle of joy! I also added a balsamic glaze to the sandwich because that is something Jess would do! The glaze is optional, but I highly recommend it! It is amazing! We use DeLallo’s Balsamic Glaze. It’s the best!
Celebrate Jessica, Eddie, and their baby by making this Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese Sandwich! It is loaded with flavor and the ultimate fall grilled cheese!
Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Time
- 55 minutes
- 2 sandwiches
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 small red onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 6 ounces Harvarti cheese sliced
- 2 leaves Lacinato Tuscan or Dino kale, torn into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Balsamic glaze or reduction if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potato rounds in a small bowl and drizzle with one tablespoon of the olive oil. Toss well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, caramelize the onion. In a small saucepan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Place the onion slices in the pan and cook over medium heat with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, about 8 minutes. Remove onions from pan and set aside.
- Place the butter in the same small saucepan and melt over medium-low heat. Continue to cook, swirling occasionally, until butter turns golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Pour butter into a small bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. To make the grilled cheese, butter the outsides of the bread slices with the brown butter. Layer the cheese, sweet potatoes, kale, and caramelized onions. Sprinkle fresh rosemary over the ingredients and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, if using. Top with a slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Place the sandwiches, butter side down, on the hot skillet pan or griddle. Grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2 more minutes. Serve immediately.
- Note-sourdough or Italian bread works well too! For gluten-free, use gluten-free bread. You can also use mozzarella, fontina, brie or white cheddar cheese. Josh likes to add bacon to his sandwich:)