I have good intentions when it comes to making dinner, but lately I am too tired to follow through. I am really productive in the morning, but when 3:00 in the afternoon hits, I am done. All of my motivation goes out the front door. This week I planned a few dinners, but never got around to making them. Luckily, I have the most amazing husband who always steps in to take care of me and our little guy. This week he came home from work and I told him sorry because I didn’t make anything for dinner, once again. He told me not to apologize and immediately went into the kitchen to cook dinner. He made the most amazing Sweet Potato Kale Pizza with Rosemary & Red Onion. He definitely spoiled me with this delicious meal.
Josh loves pizza, he could eat it every night, but he usually prefers pepperoni or sausage, nothing fancy. I was surprised he thought “outside of the box” and added a few of my favorite ingredients to this pizza. I know he really loves me:) He rolled out pizza dough and topped it with olive oil, mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced roasted sweet potatoes, balsamic drizzled kale, red onion, and fresh rosemary. All of the flavors melted together to create the perfect Fall pizza. You can use our favorite whole wheat pizza dough recipe or our basic pizza dough recipe.
I loved everything about this pizza. It seriously is the best! Not only is it out of this world delicious, it is also pretty. I love the Fall colors. It is perfect for Halloween too. If you are looking for a festive, fun, and fantastic tasting Halloween dinner, make this Sweet Potato Kale Pizza. I am hoping Josh will make it again..and soon! Maybe I should be lazy more often:)
Sweet Potato Kale Pizza with Rosemary & Red Onion
- Your favorite pizza dough-we like this pizza dough recipe
- 1 large sweet potato thinly sliced, about ¼ inch thick
- ½ red onion sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil divided
- Salt and pepper for seasoning potato slices and onion
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the sweet potato slices and red onion slices in a bowl and toss with ½ tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a large baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and tender. Make sure you turn them once during the 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the pizza dough.
- Turn the oven to 500 degrees F or as high as your oven will go. If you have a pizza stone, place the pizza stone in the oven to get hot. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough, using a rolling pin. Roll it out to about ⅜ of an inch. Place the pizza dough on a pizza peel or pan that has been generously coated with corn meal. Lightly brush the dough with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. In a small bowl, toss the kale with balsamic vinegar. Top the pizza dough with mozzarella cheese, sweet potato slices, kale, red onion slices, and fresh rosemary.
- Place the pizza in the oven-directly on the pizza stone, if using one, or on the oven rack. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until pizza crust is golden and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing. Slice and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Sweet Potato Kale Pizza with Rosemary & Red Onion, you might also like:
- Potato Pizza from The Italian Dish
- Crispy Kale and Chèvre Pizza from Daily Unadventures in Cooking
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Rosemary from Two Peas and Their Pod