White Chickpea Chili-our family loves this easy vegan and gluten-free chili recipe! It is full of flavor and perfect for a cold day!
On Monday, I shared our favorite cornbread recipe. Today, I am sharing an easy recipe for White Chickpea Chili because our pan of cornbread needed a pot of chili to go with it. Chili and cornbread is always a good idea, especially on a chilly day. I wonder if that is why chili is called chili? It is perfect for a chilly day! Ha! I know, different spellings, but still:)
Anyways, I love a good bowl of chili and this White Chickpea Chili is one of my favorites. It is loaded with flavor and super easy to make!
I am a vegetarian so I don’t eat the traditional white chicken chili. Instead, of chicken, I use chickpeas! They are great in this chili! I use white beans too so there is plenty of protein going on in this chili!
This chili super easy because I use store bought salsa verde. If you want to make salsa verde from scratch, go for it, but store bought works just fine in this recipe. I am all about quick and easy meals lately!
Once your chili is ready to be ladled into bowls, the fun begins! You can top your chili with all kinds of fun toppings…avocado, cilantro, sour cream or Greek yogurt, cheese, jalapeño slices, tortilla strips, lime wedges…go crazy! And don’t forget to serve cornbread on the side!
This chili is packed with pulses! Pulses are the delicious, protein-packed, sustainable foods known as dry peas, chickpeas, lentils and beans. You can sign up for the Half-Cup Habit challenge, and see how easy it can be to add ½ cup serving of pulses to your diet three times a week.
It’s chilly outside, so get your chili on and make White Chickpea Chili for dinner!
If you like this White Chickpea Chili recipe, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Vegan Sweet Potato Chili
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- Dad’s Spicy Chili
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
White Chickpea Chili
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 40 minutes
For the Chili:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 16 oz jar mild salsa verde
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1 medium lime
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Tortilla chips
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheese
- Lime wedges
- 1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Stir in the white beans, chickpeas, salsa verde, vegetable broth, cumin, chili powder, oregano, cilantro, and fresh lime juice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- 3. Simmer chili on low for about 15-20 minutes. Ladle chili into bowls and serve warm. Garnish with toppings of your choice!
- Note-this chili freezes well. For vegan, don't top with sour cream or cheese.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!