Tortilla chips are easy to make at home and so much better than store bought chips. These crisp and salty corn tortilla chips are baked and not fried, but you will never know. They are SO good!
I posted our edamame guacamole recipe this week and mentioned that we made homemade baked tortilla chips to go with our guacamole. Well, I received several emails and comments from readers wanting to know how we made our chips. So today is your lucky day, I am sharing our simple recipe for baked tortilla chips.
Homemade tortillas are easy to make and we love this recipe because they are baked and not fried. These healthy tortilla chips are just as good as fried chips too! The oven crisps them up and they still have a nice salty kick!
How to Make Tortilla Chips
- You can make tortilla chips from corn tortillas. We purchase corn tortillas from a local Mexican market, they are cheap and fresh. Feel free to use your favorite brand of corn tortillas. Blue corn tortillas are also good and make great chips.
- We cut the tortillas into triangles. We like a strong, big chip for dipping, so we cut the taco size tortillas into four large triangles. If you want smaller chips, just cut them smaller.
- No frying is necessary, we lightly brush the chips with oil. You can also spray the chips with oil if that is easier. You do want the chips to be nicely coated so they will crisp up in the oven.
- Place the chips in an even layer on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with kosher salt. Make sure they are not overlapping.
- Make sure you watch the chips closely. It doesn’t take them long in the oven and you don’t want them to burn.
These chips are easy to make and much better for you than fried tortilla chips. Homemade baked tortilla chips are perfect for dipping. We love eating them with:
- Edamame Guacamole
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Strawberry Mango Salsa
- Pistachio Guacamole
- Pineapple Salsa
- Mango Guacamole
- Peach Corn and Avocado Salsa
- Cheesy Guacamole
You can also use the chips to make nachos!
Making your own chips at home is easy, fun, and cheaper too. And kids love these easy homemade chips! Our boys are always asking if we can make homemade tortilla chips!
Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 6 minutes
- Total Time
- 11 minutes
- Corn tortillas
- Canola oil or vegetable oil for brushing on tortillas
- Kosher salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush the tortillas lightly with oil. Make sure both sides are brushed. Place the tortillas in a stack and cut into triangles with a sharp knife.
Place the tortilla triangles on two large baking sheets. Make sure they are in an even layer and aren't overlapping. Sprinkle with salt, to taste.
Bake until golden brown and crisp, rotating the baking sheets once, about 10-12 minutes.
Cool completely, the chips will crisp up as they cool. Serve with guacamole, salsa, or eat them plain.