You only need 4-ingredients to make these Crispy Roasted Chickpeas. Roasted Chickpeas are the perfect healthy snack or you can add them to salads and bowls.
Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
If you are a regular reader of our blog, you know I LOVE chickpeas. They are one of my favorite ingredients to use in recipes. I always keep our pantry stocked with cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) because I use them all of the time for hummus, salads, tacos, and soups. I also love to snack on Crispy Roasted Chickpeas.
The other day, I made roasted chickpeas on Instagram stories and I got a ton of messages from people about how to make them, so today I am sharing my easy recipe for easy roasted chickpeas recipe. You only need FOUR ingredients and the oven does most of the work.
They’re a great healthy snack and also make a great party appetizer, you can eat them by the handful. I also like to add them to salads for a nice crunch, think healthy croutons, or to a bowl of soup for a nice crunchy topping.
How to Roast Chickpeas
Roasting chickpeas in the oven makes them super crispy and crunchy. They are not mushy at all, the texture is more like a crunchy nut, making them a great salty snack! Here are my tips for making perfect crispy roasted chickpeas.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. The oven needs to be hot but not too hot or the chickpeas will cook too quickly without getting crunchy. 375 is the sweet spot so they can get crispy without burning.
- Rinse the chickpeas under cold water and drain them well.
- Dry the chickpeas. Place the drained chickpeas on a clean towel and pat them dry.
- For ultimate crispiness, remove the skins from the chickpeas. Rub them back and forth and the skins will come off easily. This does take a few minutes and is an annoying task, so you can skip this step and leave the skins off, but the chickpeas will be a little crispier without the skins. I have made them both ways and both are good.
- Drizzle the chickpeas with olive oil, making sure all of the chickpeas are well coated. If the chickpeas aren’t coated in oil, they won’t get crispy.
- Season with salt before going in the oven but DON’T add the spices until the chickpeas are roasted.
- Roast in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the chickpeas are golden brown and crispy. I give the pan a shake half way through, at about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and toss the roasted chickpeas in your favorite spices.
- The chickpeas will continue to crisp up as they cool.
Spices for Roasted Chickpeas
Roasted chickpeas are delicious with just salt, but if you want to kick things up a notch, you can add your favorite spices and herbs. Make sure you add the spices AFTER they come out of the oven.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to season roasted chickpeas.
- Garam Masala
- Za’ atar
- Curry Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Taco Seasoning
- A mixture of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika
You will need one to two teaspoons of seasonings for one 15 ounce can of chickpeas. It just depends on the seasoning and how strong you want the flavors to be.
How to Store Roasted Chickpeas
When the chickpeas are completely cool they will be super crispy, but if you put them in an airtight container with a lid on or in a sealed plastic bag, they won’t stay crispy for very long. The best way to store roasted chickpeas is in a glass bowl with a paper towel on top. Keep the bowl on the counter and they will stay crispy for up to 2 days.
Roasted chickpeas really are best the same day they are roasted. I never have a problem with the roasted chickpeas getting soggy because we always eat them so quickly:) In fact, I usually double this recipe because everyone in our family loves snacking on roasted chickpeas. It’s kind of like eating popcorn or chips. Once you start snacking, you can’t stop:) I don’t mind my boys snacking on roasted chickpeas though because they are a great healthy snack!
More Chickpea Recipes:
- Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos
- Roasted Chickpea Avocado Toast
- Chickpea Shawarma Bowls
- Roasted Chickpea Taco Salad
- Korean BBQ Chickpea Bowls
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
You only need 4 ingredients to make these CRISPY roasted chickpeas!
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
- Total Time
- 50 minutes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons spices garam masala, za' atar, curry powder, smoked paprika, or a mixture of chili powder, paprika, cumin, and garlic powder, or your favorite mix of spices
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour the chickpeas into a strainer in the sink and rinse with cold water. Drain well. Spread the drained chickpeas onto a clean dish towel and pat dry. You can rub the chickpeas to remove the skins, if desired. This step isn’t necessary, but the chickpeas will get a little crispier without the skins.
- Put the dried chickpeas on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss the chickpeas until they are all well coated with the oil. Season with salt.
- Roast the chickpeas for 35 to 45 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy, shaking the pan halfway through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and toss the chickpeas in your favorite seasonings. Let the chickpeas cool completely, they will continue to crisp up as they cool.
chickpeas, roasted chickpeas