This is the BEST classic egg salad recipe! Learn how to make egg salad that can be used for that delicious egg salad sandwich you’ve been craving. This easy egg salad is perfect for using up hard-boiled eggs.
Egg Salad – An Easter Must-Have
Easter is on Sunday and that means we will be up to our eyeballs in hard-boiled eggs. Caleb is SO excited about coloring Easter eggs. We did one dozen over the weekend and he is already begging to do more. I told him he has to wait until Saturday. I need to space out the egg craze!
So what do you do with leftover Easter eggs? Make Egg Salad, of course! I usually make my favorite Avocado Egg Salad, but this year, I made a classic Egg Salad recipe too! We are going to have plenty of eggs to make both. I am glad Caleb likes coloring the eggs and eating the eggs! He is going to have to eat Egg Salad this week and next week! The rule is, if you color them, you eat them..ha!
How to Make Egg Salad
The good thing is that this is an easy Egg Salad to make. This recipe will show you how to make egg salad if you are like me and don’t love a ton of mayo. I keep things pretty traditional with this classic egg salad recipe, but I do have a few modifications. Below is how I make my egg salad:
- I use half Greek yogurt and half light mayo because I am not a big mayo fan. I like the half and half ratio.
- Add in a little Dijon mustard
- Add lemon juice
- Add chopped celery, green onions, and chives
- Josh likes his Egg Salad plain and simple, but I like to add radish slices and arugula. It just adds a little burst of color and freshness!
How to Eat Egg Salad
I like to eat this easy Egg Salad on toast, but Josh makes a big old sandwich! Caleb likes his egg salad with crackers! So there are many ways to enjoy this easy Egg Salad…and that’s a good thing because if you are like us, you will be eating A LOT of Egg Salad after Easter:)
Put those hard boiled Easter eggs to good use and make our classic Egg Salad recipe. You can also try our Avocado Egg Salad. Both are winners!
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 10 minutes
- 6 hard boiled eggs peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bread sliced radishes, arugula, and additional chives, for serving, if desired
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice. Stir with a spoon, breaking up the eggs until you reach desired consistency. I like to leave the eggs a little chunky. Stir in the celery, green onions, and chives. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Spread the egg salad on bread slices with radish slices, arugula, and a sprinkling of chives, if desired. You can also serve the egg salad in a lettuce cup or on top of a bed of greens. It is also good eaten with crackers or veggies. Enjoy!
- Note-the egg salad will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.