You will never know these rich and decadent chocolate zucchini muffins are made with healthy ingredients. Enjoy for breakfast, snack time, or dessert!
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
I love zucchini season because I love making zucchini EVERYTHING! Zucchini bread, zucchini cake, zucchini brownies, zucchini pancakes…and the list goes on. You can check out my favorite zucchini recipes here, there are lots of zucchini recipes to choose from, sweet and savory! I usually go sweet and that is the problem. I have been baking up too many loaves of chocolate zucchini bread this month. It’s just so good. I can’t help myself. Well, I decided it was time to make a healthier chocolate zucchini treat…and now you are in for a real treat because they are delicious and I am sharing the recipe TODAY!
These Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins will make you want to jump out of bed so you can eat chocolate for breakfast. They are a great breakfast treat…or you can enjoy them as a snack, or dessert because they basically taste like a chocolate cupcake, but they are healthy-ish! I love them, my kids love them, and I think you will love them too.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffin Ingredients
These chocolate zucchini muffins are made with healthy ingredients, but you will never know it because they are so rich and decadent. You will need the following ingredients:
- White whole wheat flour-you can use whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour if you need the muffins to be gluten-free.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder-use a high quality brand of cocoa for the best chocolate flavor.
- Baking powder, baking soda, and salt-baking staples that you probably have in your pantry!
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk-I love using almond milk, but you can also use buttermilk if you don’t need the recipe to be vegan.
- Coconut oil-measure the coconut oil when it’s at room temperature, then melt it in the microwave. Let cool for about 5 minutes before using.
- Pure maple syrup-I use pure maple syrup because it is a natural, unrefined sugar. The flavor is great too! You can use honey, if you don’t need the recipe to be vegan.
- Large egg-if you need the recipe to be vegan, use a flax egg.
- Vanilla extract-always use pure vanilla extract. I know it is pricey but so worth it!
- Zucchini-the star of the show! You will need 2 cups of shredded zucchini (2 small zucchinis or one large zucchini). Don’t squeeze out the liquid or your muffins will be dry! The muffins need the moisture from the zucchini.
- Chocolate chips-I use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips for this recipe because they are vegan, gluten-free and made with unrefined sugar. They taste good too, I promise:)
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Double the chocolate, double the fun, right? You will go crazy for these over the top chocolate muffins. The cocoa powder and chocolate chips team up to create the BEST chocolate muffin! The zucchini keeps the muffins super moist, but you really won’t know you are eating a muffin packed with a vegetable because all you will taste is chocolate goodness!
The muffins are good out of the oven, but I highly recommend you let the muffins cool and sit for a few hours or if you want to make them the day before enjoying, even better. The muffins get even more rich and chocolaty as they sit. I promise, they are worth the wait, you will see what I am talking about if you are patient. And the added bonus? This is a great recipe to make in advance. Make the muffins the night before so you can roll out of bed and enjoy a chocolate zucchini muffin for breakfast! WINNING!
You can freeze the chocolate zucchini muffins. Cool completely and place muffins in a freezer bag or container. Freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost on the counter or reheat in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.
More Muffin Recipes:
- Zucchini Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Best Blueberry Muffins
- Apple Zucchini Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Muffins
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg (or flax egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- ¾ cup chocolate chips, divided (I use Enjoy Life)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Line muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2In a medium, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together almond milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir in the shredded zucchini until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture and stir until just combined, don’t over mix. Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the tops of each muffin. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out mostly clean. It’s ok if there is a little chocolate from the chocolate chips. The muffins should be set on top and bounce back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health