You’ll love these homemade lemon bars for the delicate, buttery shortbread crust that is strong enough to hold up the lemon bar, and the little bit sweet, little bit tart balance of the lemon bar topping.
Lemon Bars: So Fresh, So Delicious
If you saw my post about our favorite Spring desserts, you know we love lemon. I like lemon year around, but especially in the spring. Over the weekend, I whipped up a batch of lemon bars. I bought a big bag of lemons, so I felt obligated to put them to good use:)
We love these homemade lemon bars because the buttery shortbread crust is light and delicate, but a strong enough base to hold up the lemon topping. The lemon flavor is a little bit sweet and a little bit tart-the perfect balance in my book. I love the texture of the lemon too-creamy and still a little gooey.
I finished the lemon bars off with a dusting of powdered sugar. These bars are pretty and the perfect sweet treat for spring. Josh devoured them, so I guess I will be making them again…and soon:)
- 12 bars
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one large lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
1. Preheat to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 8 Pyrex dish with cooking spray and dust with flour. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and powdered sugar on medium speed. Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour and salt. Mix until combined and smooth. Press the crust dough into the prepared pan. Make sure the crust is evenly spread out. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven.
3. In a medium bowl, rub the lemon zest and sugar together with your fingers until fragrant. Add in the lemon juice, flour, baking powder, and eggs. Mix until well combined and the sugar is dissolved. Pour mixture over baked crust.
4. Bake for 20 more minutes, or until the lemon filling is set and slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Let the bars cool and set. Cut into squares and serve.
If you like these lemon bars, you might also like:
Lime Bars from Two Peas and Their Pod
Lemon Buttermilk Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod
Gingered Lemon Bars from Simply Recipes
Lemon Coconut Bars from My Baking Addiction
Buttermilk Lemon Bars from Baking Bites