Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies with a sweet lemon glaze are the perfect dessert for any occasion. Everyone loves these soft lemon cookies!
Josh’s 40th birthday was yesterday and today I am taking him on a surprise vacation! It was SO hard to keep it a secret, but I did it! We are packing our bags this morning and flying out this afternoon for a few days of fun and relaxation. Papa is staying with our boys and they are very excited about that. I will share where we are headed on Instagram later today and in our weekly This and That post tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Before we leave, I wanted to share the recipe for these soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies. I made them for Josh’s birthday and they were a huge hit.
Josh is not a huge chocolate fan. He loves chocolate chip cookies and chocolate milk, but that is about it. Sure, he will eat chocolate cake or brownies, but they aren’t his favorite. He loves all things citrus though. Key lime pie is his jam and he loves all things lemon. I usually make him a key lime pie for his birthday, but this year I switched it up. He got chocolate chip cookies AND lemon poppy seed cookies. I like to shower people with cookies, especially on special occasions. Cookies are my love language:)
A few tips for making these delightful Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies:
- Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers until fragrant. This will bring out the best lemon flavor.
- Roll your lemons on the counter before juicing or place them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. This will make them extra juicy. I like to use this lemon juicer.
- You can find poppy seeds in the spice aisle at the grocery store.
- Let the cookies cool completely before you dip them in the lemon glaze. I like to dip the cookies so they are fully covered in glaze.
The Lemon Poppy Seed cookies are soft, tender, and bursting with lemon flavor in every bite. You will love the addition of poppy seeds and the sweet lemon glaze takes the cookies over the top! The cookies are perfect for parties, showers, or every day dessert. They were the perfect treat for Josh’s birthday!
If you like these Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies, you might also like:
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
For the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar mixture together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients on low speed until just combined. Stir in the poppy seeds. Drop dough by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are just set and slightly golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes and transfer to cooking racks. Cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the lemon glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Dip each cookie top into the lemon glaze. Let cookies sit until glaze has set.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod