On Friday, I received a text from our good friend. The text said “Happy Friday” with a picture of a giant box of peaches. I looked a little closer and noticed that the giant box of peaches was sitting on our front porch. I squealed and immediately responded thank you. I started planning out my weekend baking list and peach crumb bars were at the very top.
Josh drove up to our house to rescue our precious peaches (we are still not living at home-thanks to our kitchen remodel). When he walked in the door with the enormous box of peaches my eyes lit up. I knew I would have enough peaches to make peach crumb bars and several other recipes. The last time our friend gave us peaches, I made peach salsa, muffins, and scones. We are so lucky he shares with us.
This peach crumb bar recipe is from Brown Eyed Baker, my dear friend and blogging buddy. I knew they would be good, because she is an expert in the kitchen…and there is lots of butter involved:) The bottom layer of the bars is thick, buttery, and the perfect base for the sweet peach filling. The top layer is crumbly and also very buttery. I sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top to give the bars an extra dose of goodness.
These peach crumb bars are delicious by themselves, but they are even better when paired with scoop of vanilla ice cream. Either way, add them to your “to do” list. They are delectable! Now, what to do with the remaining peaches? Hmmm!
Peach Crumb Bars
For the Peach Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- For the peach filling- place the diced peaches in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix gently. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over the peaches and carefully combine. Set aside.
- For the dough-in a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until butter is mixed in, but you still have small chunks of butter. Mix the vanilla and egg together. Add into the flour and butter mixture and combine. The dough will be crumbly. Pat half of the dough into the prepared pan.
- Spread the peach mixture evenly over the bottom crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the peach layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.
- *Note-these bars are delicious on their own, but if you want an extra special dessert, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these peach crumb bars, you might also like: